Cleaning Velvet Clothing and Fabric

Category Fabric
Due to the varied fiber content and pile, velvet can be difficult to clean. This is a guide about cleaning velvet clothing and fabric.

Can you hand wash velvet that is "dry clean only"? Has anyone ever tried? I don't have a lot to lose as this is a runner that was on sale.

Let me know if you have tried with success or failure to wash your velvet fabric.

Thank you!

Ginny

Answers

I have before. Of course I wash MOST things that are "dry clean only." Just make sure after wards, you use a soft cloth, like a washcloth and "brush" it!

By Pat (Guest Post)

I don't think I would wash velvet, but I have steamed it and then brushed with a clothes brush. Hope this helps

Here's a good tip from Pioneer Thinking: "Brush good, then hang in a steamy bathroom".
This seems safer than trying to wash it.

Depends what its made of - some velvets are made with synthetic material that washes fine, others are cotton velvet that may end up with marks where the pile has settled in alternate directions. Does it have a label telling you what the fabric is? If you do decide to wash it hand wash, don't rub just swish around in the water and don't wring - drip dry on a flat rack.

Regards

Jo - who doesn't have any dry clean only clothes now - some of them say they are but they all go in the washer with everything else no problem!

By (Guest Post)

Try hand washing it if you are unsure. This has never failed me - a seamstress.

By (Guest Post)

yes. but you have to brush the pile as it's drying, as the pile would stick together. brush gently.

By marilyn (Guest Post)

Yes and at this time it looks awful!

By a (Guest Post)

Can You machine Wash Cotton Velvet Duvet with dry clean only label?

If I remember right from when I was young real velvet also has to be ironed and that has to be done on the wrong side of the fabric and I think over a bath towel.

Can I put 2 large pieces of velvet fabric, that have gotten wet and now smell like mildew, in the washing machine? I figure they're ruined "as is" so what's the difference if I wet them? Any one have any experience with this dilemma?

Thanks,
Juanita from Homewood, IL

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Like you said, they are already ruined, what does it matter? I would try it, you may be surprised. I don't think I would put it in the dryer tho.

Just set it on cold, gentle (handwash) cycle. Use a rinse of 1/2 to 3/4 cup white vinegar to remove the smell. Hang to dry and then brush to fluff. Should be just fine! Good luck!

By mary e (Guest Post)

your first two posts are correct. cold water and a bit of vinegar. gentle cycle, plenty of cold rinse water. no dryer!

By Elaine (Guest Post)

Juanita,
What happened? Did it work for you?

By Laura (Guest Post)

I had a long piece of velvet that had wax spilled all over it. I used "goo dissolving" liquid that was amazing on the velvet.

I even spot cleaned some dirt spots with it. I cleaned the areas with a little liquid detergent and water, using a soft toothbrush. The velvet is like new!

By cschooley (Guest Post)

I washed my velvet curtains on gentle cycle. they seem to be fine. I wash all my dry clean only fabrics, so far no problems. i have been doing it for years.

My late mother-in-law made beautiful velvet Christmas dresses for my girls 30 years ago. I would like my granddaughter to wear one, but they are discolored. Can't tell if it's dirt from hanging in the closet or an actual permanent color change. No fabric care ticket, of course. I don't know if it's washable or can be dry cleaned. I removed the lace collar and am soaking separately. Here is a photo of the discoloration. Anyone have this problem?

How do I clean the dust and lint from the back of a frame that is covered with velvet?

By Anne from Aston, PA

Answers

Cleaning it first with a fabric sticky roller, then cover it with Glad's press & seal food wrap; trimming it even with the frame's edges. You'll never have to clean it again.

A damp sponge will remove the dust and lint.

Use wide packing tape or narrow scotch tape. Just press it on and ripe it off, dust, hair, lint is traped on the tape.

Change it often. And this also works on furniture where animals have shed hair. GG Vi

We have what looks like a sugary residue on our new velvet comforter. Our guests' children stayed there over Christmas and we think they had candy on it. The areas where the stains are are stiff and a little shiny on the nap of the velvet. We took it to the dry cleaners who would send it out. They were unable to mark it with tape on the velvet but told us they would have the company check it out.

It came back the same way so no way of telling if they did check it out and were unable to take out the stain (although there was no note stating that). I think they just thought it was general dry cleaning and didn't know to attempt to remove any stains. Any ideas how to remove this sugary stain without hurting the velvet?

Carole from Orange County

Answers

If it's sugar you should be able to dissolve it by gently sponging the area with water. The comforter is washable, isn't it? Bedding usually is - The only concern is the nap of the belvet - you have to be careful not to flatten it - but most velvet nowadays is made from acrylic and is pretty bouncy...but you can check on a small hidden spot - I think the reason that the dry cleaner didn't get it out is that sugar isn't dissolved by dry cleaning fluids.....

TRY THIS: HYDROGEN PEROXIDE removes pretty much any ORGANIC stain. That means any stain that comes from a natural substance. Thus, It'll remove blood, red wine, hot cocoa, coffee or latte & grape "juice", but NOT grape "kool-aid" & won''t remove artificial colors or heavy dyes in the candy.

The hydrogen peroxide works with oxygen fizzing out & eating up the milk. It leaves no residue, so no need to rinse it out. Just pour it on, let it fizz & do it's thing, repeat if necessary & blot with a clean white rag. On some things (like large wall to wall carpets with many stains) it's best to put the peroxide in a well marked small spray bottle & just spray it on the stains. Always test peroxide or ANY stain fighter in an inconspicuous area first!

I've got a small dried on food stain, on the front of my blue velvet blazer. The stain is only the size of a grain of rice, but it is on the front centre, so in full view. I have not tried cleaning it yet, as I would surely make it worse not knowing the correct trick. Help!

By D. Baines

I have a black velvet dress with perspiration stains under the arms. Does anyone know how to get them out?

By Joyce M