Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

Category Laundry
Finding mysterious bleach spots on your laundry, even when no bleach was used is frustrating. This is a guide about preventing bleach stains on clothing.

i need help. Every once in a while (more lately) when I do a colored load of wash clothes will come out with what looks to be a bleach stain on them. I have already lost a few shirts and some nice pants and I cant figure out whats doing it. I very rarely use bleach and I know I didnt spill it. I seperate the clothes and follow the lables. I am sick of losing nice clothes. It will only happen to one or two things a load and not every time I do wash. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?? Thanks for the help,

Missy in PA

Answers

Missy,

This same thing has happened to me. But alas I found out what was causing it. Fabric softener, that you would pour into a dispensor cup ontop of the agaitoter. (WOW what a spellor). If just one drop goes into the wash cycle, it finds you nicest clothes. And then you already know what happens.

Once I stopped fabic softening this way and went to the sheets. No problems, so if this is what you are doing, My advice is get the sheet, not the liquid. And it worked for me.

bobo42

By Gardencraft (Guest Post)

What type of detergent are you using? Are you pouring it over the already loaded washer? The same thing was happening to my sons clothes and we found it was the liquid detergent "working" before the washer had filled with water, even a worse problem when the detergent contains "brightners or bleach." It was causing bleached stains and streaks. We now put the detergent in first and rinse down the tub with a cup or two or water BEFORE we load the clothes in. Problem solved.

By (Guest Post)

Yeah, I learned the hard way to always add the soap to the water before putting clothes in. You have to dilute a lot of these laundry detergents before they make contact with your clothes. Especially if you are a bargain hunter and change detergents from time to time when you find a deal.

I had problems with liquid detergent staining clothing and powdered detergent sticking to clothing and not getting rinsed off. Sometimes when you dry clothing without seeing the stuck-on powdered detergent it will set a stain or discoloration on clothing. At best those clothes need to be re-washed. So, I always let the water run for a while, add the soap, then add the clothes and I haven't had a problem since.

The fabric softener may also be the problem.

By Julie . (Guest Post)

One thing I have been doing for years has saved my clothes and made my washer work better and longer.
Once a week pour 2 cups of household vinegar over your adjitator to clean off all the resedue left by soaps and powdered bleach. Run some old white towels through a short wash without soap. They will come out whiter and cleaner then before but your machine will be clean also. It is a good idea to run vinegar through once and a while by it's self.

If I get a real build up I use a entire gallon.
To prevent problems in the future- dissolve your detergent in an old cut off bleach bottle. Rinse one out. Fill half full with warm or hot water, depending on what you are washing and stir after pouring detergent in. let stand while you fill the drum with clothes and water. Don't add soapy liquid until the washer is almost full. Even adding detergent first doesn't always work. Try it

By Linda (Guest Post)

I always put the detergent in first when I do wash. I pour it (powder) right where the water hits when it fills. Start the water. Then I go get the hamper and start to put in the clothes. By then there are a couple of inches of water in the tub and deterg. is mostly dissoved.

By judy (Guest Post)

I had noticed some grime on the agitator but it did not wipe off easily. Today, I used the magic eraser and it worked like a charm.

All that grime is gone. I then filled the washing machine and let it go one cycle to wash away the dirt.

By (Guest Post)

This is happening to us too, but never with our old Kenmore machine. We moved and bought a GE from Sam's Club. I think what's happening is that most bleachable loads are smaller than dark clothing loads so, when you add soap and bleach to the tub to do a small whites load, the fill stream splashes concentrated bleach/soap drops higher up on the tub and/or agitator sides than the eventual water level reaches during the whites cycle. These concentrated droplets of bleach solution remain there for your next dark load which is usually bigger, so you pile in the clothes, they contact the bleach droplet and voila-a white spot!

Two solutions for this:
1. Make your whites load the last of the day so the tub dries out completely-dry bleach won't enter the fabric like liquid does, and
2. Let the tub fill with water about half way before GENTLY pouring the bleach in. Pour it in on the front side of the tub opposite the water stream. Then, let the agitator do a couple of rotations to mix before adding the whites. No more bleach stains on the dark stuff.
The Kenmore had a bleach-add cup on the top of the tub area that let the bleach in on the outside of the perforated tub so we never had the problem until now. Hope this helps!

By (Guest Post)

don't use deoderant that is a clear stick. I had some and it got a white "bleach looking"stain on one of my good light blue tee shirts. I know it was the deoderant because the stain was only under the arms. I retested it by putting the deoderant all over the shirt and rewashed it. Sure enough, there was white marks everywhere I put the deoderant.

By Karen (Guest Post)

i had a lovely pair of khaki combat trousers which have been ruined by bleach. there are a few purple drops all down the front of them as a result of the bleach in the mop bucket. i am devestated as i loved them. any tips as to how i could go about repairing these combats. they are my favourite. karen xoxo

I keep getting bleach stains on all of my clothes, I no longer use bleach and have washed the washing machine. Please Help?

Emma from Tas, Australia

Can someone help a dumb bachelor? I only use bleach when doing whites in a separate load. I notice periodically a small white bleach stain on an item in later loads of shirts and pants. This obviously ruins the item, and is driving me crazy. This has been happening for years, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. And I don't think it's just me, because I'm starting to notice it on others clothes as well. Can someone help. Thanks.

Larry from Clearwater, FL

Answers

By barb (Guest Post)

Same problem! I have decided my current washing machine does not fill enough on the rinse cycle. Therefore it does not wash out the fabric softener or the soap residue. I'm on the verge of getting a different washing machine. I've tried less soap, less fabric softener, no fabric softener - no help. What seems to help the problem is doing a third rinse.
Fischer/Paykel is currently being informed of the problems.

That is why I don't use by bleach dispenser. Sometimes they do not empty completly until a load or two later.
Instead, I fill my washer and add my bleach while it is filling. I let it adgitate about 5 seconds, then I add my whites.

I HAD this same problem, but solved it by washing first a white load with bleach, & the next load I wash is light colors that don't need bleaching, (like light blue, pink, white or light gray) then lastly after I've run the light load through I finally run my dark colors through. Just be sure to run the light load or "cleansing load" through the wash after every bleach load BEFORE you wash any jeans or dark clothes. Of course my machine is over 20 years old, too!

YES! Always add your bleach as or after the water has filled the machine, then lastly after you've agitated the load a bit, THEN add your whites.

* I'd NEVER give up using bleach! How else would I totally disinfect my bath towels, pillow cases or bed sheets? Yes, I know hot water helps (but costs money) as does drying in the Sunshine. But I live in Seattle! (only rain!) So I'll stick to bleach to kill my germs.

By Mary. (Guest Post)

I have found that I have simply splashed myself while pouring in the bleach, now I pour into the backside of the washer and hold the bottle neck low into the washer, pouring slowly. Now that I am more careful, I never have bleach spots. It takes awhile for the bleach to discolor your clothes as it is now dilluted with wash water, so you don't notice it till you launder them again. Notice if the bleach stains are usually on the front and or sleeves of clothing, including pants.

As Mary said, you are probably splashing yourself or letting the bleach drip somewhere unnoticeable. Then the clothing comes in contact with the drip or splash and you've got ruined clothing. It's happened to me too and I wondered how in the world it was happening. It's possible that the bleach bottle was set down beside the colored clothing and the clothing rubbed against the bottle. Very frustrating, I know. Probably best thing is to be more careful and to keep the bleach as far away from colored clothing as possible.

By Cindy (Guest Post)

I have the same problem and only use color safe bleach on my clothes because of our septic system.

I am starting to think that maybe the Downy that I use is getting on stuff and "bleaching" it. Has anyone heard of this happening?

I live in a dorm at school, none of the kids are supposed to use bleach, but of course they do. I've been the lucky person to put clothes in after they are done and have had 3 very nice shirts with bleach stains. How can i prevent this? I don't have the time/money to run just a load before I put my clothes in. Any suggestions?

Kevin from Philly, PA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

it's worth the money (what a $1 or $2) to run a load ahead of you rather than ruining shirts that cost what -- at least $40 total (ok I guessed at the amount but you get the idea).

Use the extra 20 minutes to study :)

By Grandma Margie. (Guest Post)

Do your whites in the machine first. If there is any residual bleach in the machine it won't hurt anything. Then you can feel safe washing darker clothes the next load.

By Gib (Guest Post)

Thanks! My girlfriend set her jeans down on my laundry for a sec and it had bleach on it! I had distracted her with something else and she went back to find 5 bleach spots on her designer jeans! So we are gonna order those Marvy Fabric Pens and everything is ok! Thanks!

By nate (Guest Post)

to prevent bleach stains is simple... dont use bleach. there are many effective non-bleach alternatives out there without the risk of permanently ruining clothes

By carole Chavez (Guest Post)

Bleach spots on dark clothes. I have not used bleach in my washer for at least 6 loads and I am still getting bleach spots on my dark clothes. Can this problem be fixed?

I have a new light blue sleeveless t-shirt. I pulled it out of the wash and now has white dots and white streak on it. It seems nothing is taking it out. What is this? How did it happen? Can I do anything to fix it? Thank you.

By flower51

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, so I'm back for more of your good advice. This isn't the first time I've had this problem and I gotta tell you I'm getting tired of ruining my clothes. This time I have a brand new GE stackable washer/dryer combo, but it happened on my past Kenmore also. I do a load of whites with a little pre-diluted (1:3) Chlorox liquid bleach, but any brand will do it. The next load after that is colored and I specifically wipe off all areas where previous bleach was poured in.

Results of this load: Tiny bleach spots, but not on every item in the tub, just 1 or 2. It's making me wish I drank again! Anyway, this 70 year old bachelor is fuming. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong. I hope I'm not told to do an empty load after the whites to remove any bleach remnants. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it. It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months. Very strange.

Thanks for your help,
Sally from South Berwick, ME

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it? It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months. Very strange.

Thanks for your help,
Sally from South Berwick, ME

Answers:

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Had this trouble with several of my face cloths. Dark colors ended up with light blotches on them. Turns out it was from skin cream with a hydrogen peroxide type of chemical in it. Put the facecloth in the hamper once and apparently it even transferred onto a blouse as it ended up with a lighter blotch on it, too. (03/20/2006)

By Tracy

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Is she cleaning with anything containing bleach? One time I cleaned my stove with Soft Scrub and it had bleach in it, and when I threw it in with my clothes it bleached them.

A lot of items have chemicals in them that can bleach clothing, maybe she can watch what chemicals she uses (if any) and pin-

point the problem.

Good luck! (03/21/2006)

By Katie

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

My daughter had this problem (still does). I figure it's the face creams or perfumes she uses. The stains are mostly up around the neck area on shirts, and on pillow cases, and the tops of her sheets. (03/21/2006)

By leslie

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Occasionally this has happened to me. I have found that this blotching can occur when laundry soap goes directly on the clothing versus putting the water and soap in before any clothing. Also, some detergents have a "whitener" in them that can cause blotches when put directly on the clothing. (03/22/2006)

By Sheri

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

This sometimes happens with my daughter's tees, I'm beginning to think it could be from one of her many hair styling products. (03/22/2006)

By yankeesgryl

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I am the daughter! So I stopped using fabric softener and switched to All Free, no dyes or perfumes. Also I started wearing gloves when I clean. I am happy to report that no stains for 3 months or more! (04/03/2007)

By

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I heard from my neighbor the other day that some newer washers that have a dispenser for the bleach. Some of them do not completely empty out so they can be dripping bleach onto the next loads. If you use a bleach dispenser or have this type of washer, it's a possibility. Run only water through your bleach dispenser for a load or two and see if it makes a difference. (06/10/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

So I only use All Free and Clear, no fabric softener and I clean in one outfit. I am happy to report that almost 6 months have gone by and no more random bleach stains, Woo hoo! (07/23/2007)

By Barbara

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

We too had the same mystery. Finally I realized it was not only our son's acne wash, but also the Scrubbie Bubbles used to clean tubs and our jacuzzi. Now I leave a special laundry container for these items and the problem has gone bye bye! (12/11/2007)

By Mary

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I have this very same problem. It's sending me mad. It started first with our towels, my husband and I had nice brown towels, and they all started to get random orangey bleach marks. Then, it was the hand towels, face towels and even my pillowcase and the top of my sheets. I have since noticed some spots on our carpet in our bedroom (in front of our mirror) and on some of our clothing. I went and stayed at my mum's house one night and she rang me up the next day to tell me that I had bleached her towels too!

Having read what everyone has posted, I am convinced it has something to do with me using Clearasil cream and/or a few face washes. I thought maybe it was Johnson's Holiday skin, but other people I know use it and they don't have any problems. I too don't use bleach products around the house and hadn't really started using any new products, except for Clearasil. I think this could be it for me. The Clearasil is going in the bin. It's wrecked too many of our nice towel sets. (02/18/2008)

By Abby

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I think it could also be from toothpaste. When you wipe your mouth of toothpaste on the towel and then it sits there until you clean the towel. (02/23/2008)

By Melanie

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Had the same exact problem and just figured out for sure what it is. The cleaning spray I use in my apartment has bleach in it. So, I could have been getting the spray directly on my clothes while cleaning and secondly (definitely more likely) is after I clean I throw the rag I used into the hamper with my clothes! As a test I just sprayed some of the cleaner onto an old black sock, sure enough, it was instantly covered with the orange stain. I feel like a complete idiot now, but at least I know how to put an end to this. (02/28/2008)

By Jeff

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I always use the same creams, detergents, etc., but my husband found a large bleach-like stain on my tan pillowcase the other morning. The only thing that has changed is that I had inpatient surgery and was medicated. That night I experienced night sweats partially due to a heating pad I was using. My thoughts were leaning more towards the ingredients in the body/shampoo wash that the hospital provided. (03/15/2008)

By Jennifer

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

While having lunch with a coworker she mentioned that her dermatologist told her to keep the prescription face cream away from color clothes like towels and pillow cases. I have been having that problem the the towels in the girls' bathroom only. Now I know. There is Proactiv in there and prescription cream. (06/27/2008)

By Noemi

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

My goodness. Finally, after years of random, bleached out spots on towels. I Googled the problem, generally it is liquid soaps of any kind. I recently visited a friend's home and found the towel I had used the night before after washing my face was "bleached" out in spots. Since the towel wasn't washed in my home, we looked at what I had used. Simple liquid soap we all buy for the convenience and use in lieu of bar soap. To test our theory we put it on a new towel and washed it. Produced the white bleach spots. I have gotten rid of all liquid soaps and with them went the problem. (07/17/2008)

By Rosemary

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Same problem here! I'm almost positive my last episode of bleached towels came from my hand soap "Method" located in the bathroom. Don't wash your hands with that stuff and dry your hands on a nice towel. That's the only thing that it could be. (08/11/2008)

By Ashley

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

So here it is, and I can say this with certainty:

For years I have gotten those random bleach stains. After finding this post, I did some experiments. Here's the findings:

Laundry Detergent: Yes, this can cause the stains. If you have a detergent with "color safe bleach" or a "whitener", be sure to shake the liquid before using, as you can get a concentration of the whitener in a cap of soap. You can also add the clothes AFTER you fill the washer with water and detergent, to dilute the soap issue. If you use powder detergent, I highly recommend the latter.

Acne medication: Absolutely the highest risk, however I think there should be an addendum to this statement (mention it below): Almost all the acne cleansers that are "not" salicylic acid will cause the problem. Proactiv and Clean and Clear are notorious. The experiment I did to test the theory was as follows:

I used Clean and Clear in the shower, then made certain (on an older towel) to dry my face only in one particular area of the towel. Sure enough, that area proved to have stains upon drying. To further test this, I asked a roommate to use his acne product under the same circumstances (area of towel), and the results, not surprisingly were the same (his Proactiv actually seemed to make the stains worse).

Now, what about that addendum I mentioned earlier? Be wary of antibacterial agents in your soaps. Hand soaps with many antibacterial agents seem to cause the same result. Same experiment as above was done to come to this conclusion. My example comes, like a previous person mentioned, from the "Method" brand foaming hand soap from Target.

I feel that the producers of these products should be held liable for the damages caused, as no warnings, written nor implied, are ever given.

I hope this helps people avoid the problem. Do what you can in your own mode of living to accommodate these issues. In talking to my doctor, he actually said that the whole "antibacterial" agents in hand soap are a sham. Soap, in it's most basic form is anti-bacterial by nature. I have switched my handsoap to a nice smelling diluted mixture of dish soap (Palmolive is great on the hands) and water. It's worked great, and no more stained hand towels. I switched acne cleansers to ones which use salicylic acid as the active ingredient, and I always dilute my laundry detergent now, in addition to agitating the bottle to make certain any whitening and brightening agents are mixed well before use. Since those implementations, no problems. (10/12/2008)

By Jason

RE: Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

The one common denominator is the fabrics, which I think is the problem. Whether towels or clothing, it never used to be a problem, so what is different now? I think it's the overseas manufacturing processes and dyes. My aunt died 2 years ago and I got a beautiful set of rose colored decorated towel, washcloth, and handtowels. I use the same products on my skin that I use on my Ralph Lauren towels from Kohl's and the color stays true with no spots on the old set, while the newer ones are ruined. The towels, while put away and not previously used, were made in the USA in 1987, while the Lauren and others I've had with similar spots were made in India and other overseas countries. I've always had oily skin and used benzoyl peroxide, astringents, and Retin-A for years also, liquid hand soaps and whitening toothpaste. It's only been in the last several years the problem has shown up. The same is true for pillowcases, old versus new. I've also had problems with sunscreen I use on my neck turning my collars yellow. I think the alcohol in that and colognes is the reason. These things never used to happen to me. I really think it's all the overseas, cheap labor products. (08/11/2009)

By kathy

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

My sister who is the authority for all my questions said it's certain dyes that react to acidic oily skin, that bleach it that pinky orange color, seen mostly on blues, browns, and khaki. I once stood in acid rain in London in a khaki top and the raindrops turned my top into orange polka dots. Now I know there is nothing that can be done if the dyes are not set by a process which is why your old towels are fine and the new ones made overseas aren't. They obviously don't use the needed process anymore. My blues ones are all ruined and my green ones are fine. Anyone know if something can be added to the first washing that would set these dyes properly so it wouldn't happen later? (06/01/2010)

By Lolly

Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

I have to agree with the folks that concluded the dyes in newer towels (almost invariably made overseas) are inherently unstable. I experimented with brand new hand towels that had never been washed, and was able to produce the bleach stain problem within a couple of days. It never happens on the towels I bought 15 to 20 years ago (yes, I still have some of those.) :-)

I don't use any medications containing benzoyl peroxide. I do use daily sun screens, and I think the sunscreen left on my hands may be the culprit, as I've seen the same problem with sunscreen bleaching some of my less expensive (made overseas) cotton tops.

Bottom line: the dyes used in towels are no longer stable. I may give up and simply start buying white towels. Discouraging. (06/26/2010)

By DeeDee