Cleaning Fish Smell From a Refrigerator

Category Odors
The smell of old or rotten fish in your refrigerator is not only unpleasant but also can be a challenge to remove. This is a guide about cleaning fish smell from a refrigerator.

I am getting to be a desperate woman. I can't get the fish smell out of my refrigerator. I tried cleaning with baking soda, bleach and water, 409 disinfectant spray - no luck. I've soaked the refrigerator with all of these for 1 hour or more, and no luck.

I've taken the refrigerator apart and have cleaned everywhere. Please - any help would be great.

Thanks and Happy New Year from Smoochie

Answers

Best Answer

When we had a house fire, the Pro's brought in a large "Ozone Machine"... & within 2 days the whole house smelled fresh & new again. You can buy or rent smaller ones, for more information look in your yellow pages under "Fire & Water damage" & ask these guys about where you can rent a small ozone machine. These machines will remove ANY bad smells...

BUT FIRST TRY THIS: try putting several bowls of white vinegar in various places all around your fridge... (you can also use the vinegar to wash down the walls of your fridge) Then the following day, put in a tray of high quality brand new kitty litter.... This will absorb the rest of the odor if there's any left after you've used the vinegar.

You can also use "OUT!" ... it sold at Walmart for only $3.99 & it's made with good bacteria & enzymes to "eat" pet stains & odors.... It works wonders removing smells, plus it leaves a nice Vanilla scent.

Best Answer

We had a leaky bag of crab legs in our fridge and we couldn't wash the odor away. It always remained on the plastic edges of the glass shelves. The posts about using vanilla extract caught my eye. Vanilla extract is mostly alcohol.
Wiping the plastic perimeter edging on the shelf in question with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol seems to have cured our problem. I scrubbed all the surfaces and pushed hard into all the edges and corners. Our problem is now solved. I hope it works for you!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Check your baking soda box. I had horrible, lingering fish smell. After cleaning, throwing things out and checking every nook and cranny, my husband came in and sniffed the soda box I taken out. It reeked of fish odor, having effectively done its job. Problem solved. Change your soda box often.

Very simple Just put a bowl of charcoal in the fridge,

In a couple days NO SMELLS at all

just regular charcoal that you would grill with!
lorac