Birthday and Christmas Gift Lists

Children want a lot of things. When my children were growing up, I would put everything they asked for on a list. Items had to be in our budget to be included on the list. A few weeks before their birthday or Christmas, I would have them look at the list and circle the 3-5 (depending on age) items they wanted the most. This way they would get something they wanted and still have an element of surprise.

Invariably, many of the items would be crossed off, as they weren't wanted anymore. Sometimes, they didn't even remember putting it on the list.

It was a good example to show that spur of the moment purchases are never a good idea. It also taught them to prioritize their wants, as very few people can afford everything their heart desires. My daughter plans to do the same with her children.