Making a 3D Butterfly Wedding Place Card
Mount this beautiful 3-D paper butterfly to a skewer and set it in florist foam for a unique place card for a wedding or other special event. This guide shows you how to make a 3D butterfly wedding place card.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Make a 3D butterfly wedding place card using the provided butterfly design and brightly colored sugar paper squares. Glue a skewer to the back of the butterfly and write the guest's name on one of the wings. Add the skewer to a piece of floral foam and watch the butterfly's wings dance during the wedding reception. This is a unique way to show your guests where they will be seated. Add a "thank you"-tag to the skewer and it can be turned into a different kind of wedding favor.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: one place card
- one printout of the butterfly design
- orange sugar paper
- yellow sugar paper
- black sugar paper
- orange cardstock
- 0.5 inch wide orange satin ribbon with white polka dots
- small packet of moss
- one green water-retaining floral foam brick
- one small clear glass side plate
- thin green florist wire (26 or 28 gauge will work the best)
- pair of standard scissors
- hot glue gun and glue stick
- quick-drying glue
- one wooden kebab skewer
- Spray & Sparkle Gold Glitter Varnish
- bowl with water
- Cut smalls squares from the yellow and orange sugar paper. Use quick-drying glue to cover the top two wings of the butterfly with the yellow sugar paper squares, and the bottom wings with the orange paper squares.
- Cover the body of the butterfly with black sugar paper.
- Spray the sugar paper butterfly with the Spray & Sparkle Gold Glitter Varnish and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Glue the sugar paper butterfly onto the orange cardstock. Do not glue it down completely ~ only affix the butterfly's body and approximately 0.3" on either side of the body to the orange cardstock. The wings must be loose and be able to move, to create an effect of a butterfly dancing.
- Cut out the two butterflies, using the sugar paper butterfly as your guideline. Fold the wings of the sugar paper butterfly upwards so that the bottom wings will be exposed.
- Use the hot glue gun to add the kebab skewer to the back of the orange butterfly's body.
- Use the ribbon to make a bow beneath the butterfly and neatly cut the ends of the ribbon. Add a drop of glue with the glue gun so that the ribbon won't slip down the skewer.
- Use the pliers and cut the wire into 2 inch strips. Bend each wire strip to make small wire hooks. You need to make approximately 15 wire hooks.
- Cut the floral foam into a small square that will fit into the glass plate that you have chosen for this project.
- Soak this piece of floral foam in the bowl of water. Do not push the foam under the water, but allow it to soak up the water on its own, or else it may leave dry spots in the foam which cant be detected from the outside.
- After 20-30 seconds, or as soon as the top of the piece of floral foam is level with the surface of the water, remove the piece of floral foam from the water.
- Put moss into the water, squeeze excess water out and then affix moss around the floral foam square. Make sure that the sides of the floral foam square are thoroughly covered and use the wire hooks to keep the moss in place. Remember to also use hooks around the edges and around the bottom of the foam square.
- Once the sides are thoroughly covered, cut off any protruding pieces of moss to make the sides of the foam square neat.
- Then, put the moss-covered foam square in the glass plate and also cover the top of the foam square with moss, again using wire hooks to keep the moss in place.
- Push the butterfly skewer into the moss-covered foam square. Write the guest's name on the orange cardstock wing.