Bathroom Trash Tips and Tricks

Keeping your washroom garbage contained and odor free is important. This page contains bathroom trash tips and tricks.

Use empty tissue paper rolls as a secure way of disposing of things you don't want exposed in the trash, such as used feminine products. Sometimes in the rural area I live, dogs turn garbage cans over and tear open bags. This is a good way of getting things put away without embarrassment.

By Alethea M from Leslie, GA

Those plastic bags newspspers are rolled in on rainy days are good too. You could put the paper roll in it.

I was in need of a bathroom trash container and had no extra money for a new one. My room mate was unpacking old storage items and came across camping gear. In amongst the items, there was a tin bucket, I got the idea to use this for my trash container. I like it so much that I want another one!

By Birthaleen from Burbank, CA

I get at least one of those popcorn tins at Christmas time and always recycle them to trash bins after the holidays, can be wrapped in different wrapping, eg Birthday to make pretty

My spouse has prostrate problems and wears disposal underwear for accidents. When he's through with them he throws them in the bathroom trash can. Even if he puts them in a plastic bag our bathroom and the trashcan smell horrible. The bathroom is off our bedroom so if the door is open the smell comes into the bedroom. What can I do?

By Deborah from St. Louis, MO

I share your problem. First, try to get hubby to drink a lot more water.I sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of all my trash cans.I also place the used underwear in a plastic bag before putting in in the trash and I empty to the outside can as much as I can. Hope this helps.

Do like I did when I did day care, put all the disposable diapers in a plastic bag and as soon as the last kid left I took it out to the garbage. I never left them in the house overnight, even the few times I baby sat for the one family in the evening when they wanted to go out, I walked the diapers out to the garbage as soon as the kids left, sometimes it was at midnight or later.

Anonymous

Besides placing in the trash in a plastic bag put a trash can in the bathroom that has a lid on it and make sure to empty it once a day and wash the trash can once a week with a vinegar and water solution.

I can not figure out why men aren't bothered by the smell of urine like women are. I would also suggest a trash can with a lid. I agree with sprinkling baking soda in the bottom of the trash can, and also wonder about other odor removers like coffee grounds or charcoal. Try those too. You could also try some of the several million room deodorizer products that are advertised. A friend of mine keeps a candle burning in the bathroom.

What about those scented nappy sacks that you put soiled diapers in? If they can conceal the smell of babypoop then I'm sure it would work!

Perhaps you could buy a diaper pail and ask hubby to put his underwear in that. They work pretty well at containing the odor. Also, when I was using a diaper pail, I would buy those small round air fresheners, stick one of them on the inside of the lid, and then replace them periodically. Good luck!

I don't think a trash can with a lid would work, when we had diapers, all this did was concentrate the odor in the can until you opened it & nearly passed out form the smell! ;D Putting the underwear in a plastic bag & emptying the trash every day would work too. I had another idea though-you could get on Freecycle & ask for a 'diaper genie' to use, the only thing with that is then you'd have to buy the bags for it.

I knew someone that had a diaper genie and they just used regular bags. I had a cheaper diaper pail and bought scented garbage bags. I would get the better pail since it's in the bathroom and use scented 13 gallon trash bags.

The underwear belong to your Hubby, and if he is able to get around, he should be the one dealing with them. Tell him to stop putting them in the bathroom trash can, and tell him to wrap them in a plastic grocery bag and take them to the outside trash.

Same problem here, my husband has Parkinson's. I found that produce bags, bread bags, grocery sacks, etc do not confine the odor, so I've had to buy gallon size zip-top bags. When one gets full, he adds it to an 8-gallon trash bag to wait for garbage day. We don't use garbage cans for pickup, just plastic bags, so we can't take it outside until the night before pickup.