Canning Pumpkin

Preserving the pumpkins from your garden usually involves canning. This is a guide about canning pumpkin.

Canning Pumpkin

November 19, 2010 Flag

How do I cook a pumpkin from scratch so I can do them down (can or bottle) for future use in pies, etc.?

By Kathie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have always been told not to can pumpkin at home. I do freeze it though. I just cook it up as if I was going to make a pie or bread and then measure it out into a bag. I then write the date, contents, and what it is intended for (ie: pie, dog treats, etc.).

Years ago when the children were small (1980's) and after Holloween we would take their carved pumpkin, cut the rind off of it and cook down the meat of the pumkin. From there I would fill my quart jars and process them in a water bath canner for 50 minutes. It was wonderful to use my fresh canned pumkin for breads, muffins or pies with the canned pumpkin throughout the year. Hope this helps you and good luck!

Bake the Pumpkin

1. Cut the top off the pumpkin.

2. Scoop out the inside

3. Separate the seeds from the pulp (if you want to roast the seeds)

4. Wrap the pumpkin in foil

5. Place in a pan (I added a little water)

6. Cook 1 hour at 375 degrees (or until it is fork tender)

7. Cool and cut outside skin away from pulp. Or use a spoon to scoop it out.

8. Blend pumpkin in an electric blender, food processor, mixer or hand cranked food mill

9. Store in refrigerator if you are going to use it right away or freeze in recipe size containers.

To Roast the Seeds

1. Wash the seeds and let them dry.

2. Put the seeds on a cookie sheet

3 Sprinkle with oil

4. Roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until they start to get tan to brown (not burnt)

5. Add salt before roasting if you wish. I added sea salt.

Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesJanuary 14, 2013
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:53:47 AM on 10.0.2.245 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.