Cigarette Smell on Leather Furniture

How do I get cigarette smoke out of a leather desk chair? My friend gave me this awesome chair, but it reeks of smoke and I don't want to get rid of it. I already tried Febreze, leather cleaner, and baking soda and nothing has worked yet. Any suggestions?

Danielle from CA

Answers:

Cigarette Smell on Leather Furniture

Unfortunately the smell has absorbed into the chair and permeated the leather and now resides inside the stuffing of the chair. Besides reupholstering the chair and putting new stuffing in, there is only one thing you can do to get the smoke smell out:

Rent an ozone machine. We had a house fire and the smoke got in to the furnace's "fresh-air" intake and spread smoke everywhere, to every room in the house. The smoke permeated the furniture and the carpeting, too. The pros brought in an industrial ozone machine. The Ozone Generation made all the difference! All of the smoke smell was gone from our large home within 2 days. Believe me when I say these machines work miracles. You will only need a small ozone machine. Just run the machine in a small room with the chair in it. You can either rent an ozone machine by the day at a rental company or look under "fire and flood" in the yellow pages and call the pros and ask them where they rent their machines. You won't need a large industrial machine (like we had), but will only need a small ozone generator. Maybe just an ozone air-cleaner will do the trick.

Febreze works wonders on the outside (the fabric or leather), but you need something that can get inside the chair. If an ozone machine can make a disgusting smelling, large, 2 story, 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, smoke-filled house smell clean and fresh in 2 days, then I'm sure an ozone machine can get that chair smelling fresh as a daisy in only half a day if it's closed up in a small room (like a bathroom) with the ozone machine running full blast. (03/26/2008)

By Cyinda