Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I bought a leather coat from an online auction and it reeks of cigarette smoke. How do I get the smell out of the coat? It is a very nice soft leather.

Ruthie from Kingston Springs, TN

Answers:
Cigarette Smoke from Leather 10/11/2004
Try both baking soda as this absorbs order and spray with lysol neutral air odor eliminator spray found at grocery stores.
By Conni (Guest Post)
Cigarette Smoke from Leather 10/11/2004
In the Supermarket super products book by Jerry Baker, he suggests the following methods for cleaning leather:

1. Wipe bag with one part alcohol and one part water, then follow up with a good leather conditioner, found in supermarkets.

2. Wipe it with a cloth dipped in milk, then use a clean cloth to polish.

By rdoe1976
Cigarette Smoke from Leather 12/19/2004
Wipe with one part vinegar and one part water. You may need to go over the leather a few times. A paste made from baking soda and water is also good; but it's also harder to clean up. However, if the smell is particularly stubborn, baking soda will do the trick. Let the leather dry out a little and wipe down with some leather conditioner.
By Cleaning without chemicals (Guest Post)
Cigarette Smoke from Leather 08/09/2005
Put a fabric softener sheet in the purse for a day, this also takes the odor out of the car if you use a few sheets in the car overnight.
By claude (Guest Post)
Cigarette Smoke on Leather 10/17/2005
I have had great success of removing odors of many kinds from many things with coffee. Put about a tablespoon full of dry coffee grounds (right from the can), put in an envelope and seal and place in purse and let sit for several days or as long as necessary.
By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)
Cigarette Smoke on Leather 01/20/2006
When my leather jacket gets smokey (YUCK!) I put it in the dryer on low or on fluff, with a dryer sheet in it and turn it on for about 10 minutes, so far it has not done any damage to it at all and I have been doing this to my leather jacket for about 2 yrs.... Also, sometimes I will hang it outside overnight and stuff the sleeves with dryer sheets and it takes the smell out.
By kimmcg
Cigarette Smoke on Leather 01/23/2006
I also bought a beautiful (& expensive) black leather handbag online. Too bad it smelled like an old ashtray. Here's what I did:

1. clean with saddle soap
  2. wipe down with vinegar/water solution as stated here; let dry
  3. wipe down again with Nature's Miracle (pet store product-enzymatic cleaner for killing organic smells); let dry; repeat if necessary.
  4. rub in neats foot oil or leather conditioner to soften the leather
  5. set an open box of baking soda inside the closed bag every night for a few days (removing the top 1/4-inch layer of soda each time).

This was a pain in the @#$%, but now the bag is safe to use (i.e., folks don't think I'm some kind of chain smoker when I walk into the room). And the bag still looks beautiful. In retrospect, I doubt the saddle soap step did much, so I'd skip that one and go straight to the vinegar. Only the exposed layer of baking soda actually absorbs odors so removing the top layer each day allows more absorption (BTW, same for your fridge box, too).

If you buy some fancy leather conditioners, you may get that distinctive leather smell back, but the neats foot oil (used for my son's baseball glove) did just fine. You may want to repeat this step as well since you've done what you should never do to good leather: get it wet.

Best of luck! (and I hope your leather isn't light colored).

By Ellis (Guest Post)

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.
Removing Cigarette Smell from Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎄