Controlling Ants

How can I get rid of ants in the yard?

By Rhonda from TX

Answers:

Controlling Ants

Diatomaceous Earth. You can find it at garden supply stores or online (usually cheaper). It's a naturally occurring substance that pretty much murders bugs by cutting them open so the dehydrate to death. It's used in grain silos to keep the bugs out of feed supplies. I use it in my garden. It is more effective than pesticides, if you ask me. But, if you live in a very wet environment, this may not be a good option for you because you'll need to reapply too much.

Pets are even given small doses (food grade) of it for it's de-worming ability!
Please do not buy the stuff used for pool filters it is NOT the same, and that stuff is toxic to your pets.

By no means do I suggest this website, nor do I benefit from it, but they have the most information on what it does:

planetnatural.com

Go there and read about it, then check around local to you to find it. If you live near farm country, you can probably buy a nice bulk package of it for a lot less than the little boxes and bags. (01/09/2010)

By cowfd

Controlling Ants

Here is how I do it. You'll need a box of 20 Mule Team Borax (in the laundry section of your favorite supermarket). You'll also need some honey, syrup or jelly (something sweet and sticky). Mix two parts sticky with one part borax. Go outside and wherever you see the ants marching along, place a few drops. They will quickly find it and take it back to their den, effectively wiping out the whole bunch. You might have to repeat in a couple of weeks if some new ones hatch out or if a new colony moves in. This is extremely effective and works quickly. And it's cheap! (01/10/2010)

By amseibel

Controlling Ants

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase Amdro. In late spring we sprinkle the stuff all over the yard and no problems all summer! If an ant hill should happen spring up (there are lots of ant hills in the horse farm across the road from us), we simply put a tablespoon of Amdro on the hill and by morning the ants are gone! It's been the most effective stuff we've ever used. (01/14/2010)

By frausnow

Black Ant on Leaf
Controlling Ants in the Vegetable Garden
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄