Crafts Using Pine Cones

Category Nature
Pine cones are a popular crafting item for kids and adults alike. This is a guide about crafts using pine cones.

An angel pinecone Christmas ornament

Gather some pinecones and make these little angel ornaments as a family project. This is a guide about pinecone angel ornaments.

Place Setting Pinecone Turkeys

Place Setting Pinecone Turkeys

I found some turkeys made of pine cones in a craft store, I added orange yarn, glued on leaves with guests names on them and used them for place settings. Everyone LOVED them and they were so easy to put together. They looked so cute on the table.

By Mary Lou from Abingdon, MD

Thank you so much, I am glad you liked them.

We made door hangings with the long pine cones by using red velvet, wide ribbon the length you choose for your door, and wired a couple of long pine cones at the end of the ribbon. We used a round gold ring at the top for hanging. We also added some artificial greenery at the top for decorative purposes. The ribbon could be used plain or add a little snow glitter for a different effect.

By HerkDia from Baltimore, MD

Making a Pinecone Penguin

This is a guide about making a pine cone penguin. With all of the pine cones on the ground, now is the perfect time to make some of these cute little penguins.

We love to use "things to make things"! My daughter (9) and I made this bird from 2 pine cones. We made his wings from some wide cloth ribbon, eyes from broken necklace beads, beak from scrap ribbon and the tail from braided jute. We covered a experimentally painted terra cotta pot with braided jute. You could use a variety of other things to decorate the pot and make the bird accessories.

By Ginok from Wayne, OK

That is so pretty and inventive. You and your daughter rock!

Pinecone Christmas Ornaments

This is a guide about making pinecone Christmas ornaments. Pinecones can be used to make many beautiful Christmas ornaments.

Next time you take your kids out for a walk or you visit your local craft store, get yourself some pine cones. Take plain old white glue and coat just the tips of the pine cones. Take silver, gold or the new iridescent white glitter and sprinkle on the glue.

My father has thousands of the long leaf pine cones from our state tree. He also has home grown gourds almost ready for harvest. He is semi retired and has farmed all his life. How can I help him sell his gourds? Picking up the pine cones gives him something to do at his age. I want him to stay active working the ground, we are blessed with nature crafts in NC.

JH from Eastern North Carolina

If he has an abundance, he may want to think about donating some to a local scout group or classroom. Leaders and teachers are always grateful for supplies to use for the kids. Plus they might like him to come in and talk to the kids about his years as a farmer or even about local history if he has been farming the same land for a long time.

If it were in this town I would pile some on a table out front with a "for sale" sign & hope nobody turned me in -- a lot of times people can do that here - sometimes a neighbor gets irate about it but not often -- or find a farmers market near you : http://www.organic.org/storefinder - the open air kind & I found out this summer whoever wants to can pull up their produce or craft onto the parking lot & sell off the tailgate or out of the trunk or set up a table & not pay anything & sell things.

Also our local radio will let you sell 3 items at a time that they read on the air off a post card you submit the details of your items on.If time permits the next day I think they reread it FREE !

You can try to contact some of the craft shows. They might know of tv host who are willing to purchase the gourds. Also check with the local craft stores. If you decorate them they want to want to use(or rent) for their display. Also local stores might be looking for decorations for their windows. Ask around.

I was just at the dollar store & they were selling a bag of pine cone Christmas tree ornaments. All they did was glue a thin ribbon, yarn or a piece of thick fishing line in the shape of a loop to the top of the pine cone then either spray paint them gold or they sprayed on an adhesive then dipped them into glitter. You can also buy glitter-glue at the dollar store or can also buy spray on glitter at any craft store in the floral supply area. I would recommend Elmer's or tacky-glue or maybe even super-glue to attach the loops to the top. I wouldn't recommend hot glue or a bendable glue like E-6000. Make sure your glue dries clear.

I would think the easiest way to get the glitter or metallic paint on them would be to first glue the loops to the tops, then wait overnight for them to dry, then thread each one on to a dowel & prop the dowel with the pine cones hanging from it between 2 boxes then spray them with the metallic paint. (do this outside)

The same dollar store (Dollar Tree) sold a dozen of these metallic or glitter pine cones in a mesh bag for $1. They also sold a dozen PLAIN, regular pine cones in a mesh bag in the craft area. They just plain pine cones, nothing special. I think they were bagged up for people that don't have access to pine cones or people that don't have the energy to go outside in the cold to pick them up off of the ground themselves. They were sold for gluing or wiring to wreaths & such. The bags they were in looked like the kid of plastic mesh produce bags you often find onions in. To find these bags, just Google "mesh produce bags".

I am looking for easy (ages, 6, 8, and 10) crafts to make with grandchildren. We live in a forest area so pinecones are readily available. Thank you for any help you can give.

By Henrietta M.

Cover them in peanut butter and then roll in bird seed and hang them up. You can also cover them in glue and roll in glitter.

One year I made Christmas wreaths - Take each pine cone and put glitter on - I used spray glue and then green or red glitter in a bag and shook each pine cone. I then screwed little closed hook pins in the bottom of each pine cone and tied Christmas ribbon through each then gathered up the ends (staggered in length) and tied a knot. These hang on your door.

For Thanksgiving, lay the pinecones on their sides, glue on googly eyes on the pointed end, stick feathers or leaves in the fat end, and twigs to help your "turkey" stay in one spot.

For Christmas mini-trees, stick the fat end of the cone into a pot or jar or bowl with sand, or plaster or clay to hold the "tree" upright. Then glue mini ornaments, or sequins, buttons, glitter on the bracts.

Make a owl with Large pine cones. Level bottom of the pine cone. I use pieces of feathers for ears on top of Owl. Felt peak, and use Large Craft store plastic eyes. Take cloths dryer lint and stuff it in the pine cone. It appears as a downy whitish colored owl.

Does anyone have any ideas what can be done with whole lot of pine cones? I have hundreds in my yard and would like to help someone with how they could use them or what to do with them. Thanks.

Make a Christmas tree using several pinecones - With pinecones standing on their widest end (the base), glue the "sides" of them together in the form of a circle Some of the petals can interlock w/each other to help hold it in place. Just use hot glue to secure. When you have the size of circle you need to form the base of your Christmas tree (obviously this can vary, depending on the size of tree you want), repeat that step, only making the circle smaller. Glue that circle onto the base, using the same technique as mentioned above--allow some of the petals of the base of the smaller circle to interlock with the tips of the larger circle. Keep repeating these steps until you reach the "top" of your Christmas tree. The very tip should be just one (1) pinecone, the "layer" beneath that should be three (3) pinecones, and so on--forming larger and larger layers--depending on how large you want the entire tree. Decorate then with glitter, lights, miniature garlands, ornaments, etc..

You could try selling them on the internet! If you have loads, you could package them up and sell them to crafters on Ebay for example. You wouldn't have to charge a lot, but I bet they'd sell.

dip them in recycled candle wax & in some saw dust or dryer lint to make fire starters

If they are closed - put them on a cookie sheet & I THINK they will open up !

I set a candle in a basket on my table with some colorfull leaves & a few pinecones & acorns & such for a nice fall centerpiece

coat them with peanut butter & roll in some bird seed & hang in a tree for the birds !

Pine cones are supposed to be a good mulch for roses because of their high acid content. Mulch in the fall and remove the debris in the spring.

In the early 90s I made a turkey from 1 possibly 2 pine cones. For the life of me I can't remember how to do it. The legs were twigs and that is about all I remember. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

By Margy from Kent, WA

Just type "Pine Cone Turkey" into your search engine and you'll get dozens of photos, links and videos on how to make it. Some even have templates for the feathers. The web is a glorious place for crafters!

Can not help with Pine Cone turkey, but can tell you how to make a pine cone owl.

Large pine cone with small end up. Buy a bag of "eyes" at Michael's craft store and glue two of them to the top front of the Cone. Fashion a peak from a piece of felt that has been cut in a diamond shape and then folded in half. Glue this felt peak below his eyes. Use the lint from your cloths dryer to fill in the gaps on the pine cone. Most lint is grayish colored and your Owl will be nearly all gray or white when you fill in all of the gaps in the pine cone.