Crafts Using Pine Cones

Category Nature
A pinecone painted silver
Pine cones are a popular crafting item for kids and adults alike. This is a guide about crafts using pine cones.

Place Setting Pinecone Turkeys

Place Setting Pinecone Turkeys

I found some turkeys made of pine cones in a craft store, I added orange yarn, glued on leaves with guests names on them and used them for place settings. Everyone LOVED them and they were so easy to put together. They looked so cute on the table.

By Mary Lou from Abingdon, MD

Read 4 Comments

I made a small faux succulent out of a green painted pinecone. I also made a planter that fit it just right out of a plastic scoop. When the pinecone is painted green and dried, it looks like a succulent plant in a little planter. I placed it in my garden, and it looks adorable!

We made door hangings with the long pine cones by using red velvet, wide ribbon the length you choose for your door, and wired a couple of long pine cones at the end of the ribbon. We used a round gold ring at the top for hanging. We also added some artificial greenery at the top for decorative purposes. The ribbon could be used plain or add a little snow glitter for a different effect.

By HerkDia from Baltimore, MD

We love to use "things to make things"! My daughter (9) and I made this bird from 2 pine cones. We made his wings from some wide cloth ribbon, eyes from broken necklace beads, beak from scrap ribbon and the tail from braided jute. We covered a experimentally painted terra cotta pot with braided jute. You could use a variety of other things to decorate the pot and make the bird accessories.

By Ginok from Wayne, OK

Read 1 Comment

Gather some pinecones and make these little angel ornaments as a family project. This is a guide about pinecone angel ornaments.

An angel pinecone Christmas ornament

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a pine cone penguin. With all of the pine cones on the ground, now is the perfect time to make some of these cute little penguins.

Making a Pinecone Penguin

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making pinecone Christmas ornaments. Pinecones can be used to make many beautiful Christmas ornaments.

Pinecone Christmas Ornaments

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Next time you take your kids out for a walk or you visit your local craft store, get yourself some pine cones. Take plain old white glue and coat just the tips of the pine cones. Take silver, gold or the new iridescent white glitter and sprinkle on the glue.

My father has thousands of the long leaf pine cones from our state tree. He also has home grown gourds almost ready for harvest. He is semi retired and has farmed all his life. How can I help him sell his gourds? Picking up the pine cones gives him something to do at his age. I want him to stay active working the ground, we are blessed with nature crafts in NC.

JH from Eastern North Carolina

Pine Cone Wreaths

We use to make these from pine cones from my parents property.

Flat round wire wreath. It looks like circles with slight rise in between them from Michaels or craft store.

Large bucket of pine cones.

Put pine cones in bag temporarily. Fill the large bucket about half full of HOT WATER. Submerse pine cones in hot water. They will begin to tigthen up. Once this has happened and water has cooled off take individual pine cones and put the bottom ends at an angle into the wired wreath spaces. Work around the wreath form until you have completed your circle. Let the wreath dry flat a day or so and the pine cones will open up and be snug in the wreath form (NO GLUE NEEDED). It's neat to see this happen and it looks so much harder once the wreath is complete than it actually was. I just can't imagine some of the time spent on the wired pine and nut wreaths.

Depending on the size of your wire wreaths, you can have large or small wreaths in the end. Once dried you can leave natural and add a bow or spray with a clear water based polyurethan, or spray with a little spray glue and add glitter. These store for several years easily. Have fun.

Does anyone have any ideas what can be done with whole lot of pine cones? I have hundreds in my yard and would like to help someone with how they could use them or what to do with them. Thanks.

I put a lot on Freecycle.org website & many Scout leaders have taken trash bags full for crafts. If you have lots thay make wonderful "trees" by making a wide base, narrowing at the top w/chicken wire. You can first put Christmas lights inside the wire, then poke p cones into wire from outside & fill to top. Beautiful with red berries or ribbons added on outside. Great in an entry sitting on decorative urn. I understand they're more closed up when cold & expand when warmer.

I am looking for easy (ages, 6, 8, and 10) crafts to make with grandchildren. We live in a forest area so pinecones are readily available. Thank you for any help you can give.

By Henrietta M.

Make a owl with Large pine cones. Level bottom of the pine cone. I use pieces of feathers for ears on top of Owl. Felt peak, and use Large Craft store plastic eyes. Take cloths dryer lint and stuff it in the pine cone. It appears as a downy whitish colored owl.

In the early 90s I made a turkey from 1 possibly 2 pine cones. For the life of me I can't remember how to do it. The legs were twigs and that is about all I remember. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

By Margy from Kent, WA

Can not help with Pine Cone turkey, but can tell you how to make a pine cone owl.

Large pine cone with small end up. Buy a bag of "eyes" at Michael's craft store and glue two of them to the top front of the Cone. Fashion a peak from a piece of felt that has been cut in a diamond shape and then folded in half. Glue this felt peak below his eyes. Use the lint from your cloths dryer to fill in the gaps on the pine cone. Most lint is grayish colored and your Owl will be nearly all gray or white when you fill in all of the gaps in the pine cone.