Browsing: Crafts Using Pine Cones

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Pine Cones

Pine cones are a popular crafting item for kids and adults alike. This is a guide about crafts using pine cones.

A pinecone painted silver
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 30, 2014 Flag

A fun project for kids or adults around the holidays that cost next to nothing! These can be decoration or you can hang them as an ornament on the tree.

Total Time: 20 minutespenguin and mouse

• various pine cones
  • glue
  • white paint and brush
  • nail file
  • small piece of twine
  • cutters
  • black magic marker
  • acorns with caps
supplies

Related Products:

1. For Penquin- Remove cap from acorn and file end of cap into a 'beak' point.

Glue acorn cap on top of one pine cone (snip off top to fit better if needed).
  2. step 1 making beakstep 1 gluing on acorn cap
  3. Paint the face of the penguin as pictured and add paint down the front of the pine cone as well. Draw two simple circles for eyes with a magic marker.
  4. finished penguin
  5. For Mouse- Snip off two pine cone 'pieces' to use for mouse ears and two for the penguin's arms and glue onto your pine cones. Snip off tip of mouse's pine cone to 'fit' the acorn head on front and glue. I used some stray dry pine cone needles to glue whiskers onto the mouse.
  6. step 3 snipping pieces for ears and armstrimming cone for mouse
  7. I glued on a twine tail and drew on two black eyes with my marker.
  8. mouse

December 21, 2010 Flag

Adorn any tree with this darling angel ornament handmade and ready in minutes to spruce up your tree. An angel pinecone Christmas ornament

Approximate Time: 10 minutes each

*Paint pine cones first, if desired. A pinecone painted silver

Instructions:

1. Wrap a piece of lace around a pine cone. Glue at back to keep it on.
  2. edging dress attached

3. Break away a few pieces of pine cone to set the head on. Glue and set the head in place.
  4. head glued to top of cone

5. Make the hair using the yarn. Glue a halo on the angel head and also glue the ribbon in the center of the ornament to hang her by. hair added to dark haired angel

6. Take the 3 inch wide ribbon and cut 6 inches off. Fold in half and secure with a piece of floral wire. Fluff the ribbon on both sides. Glue this to the back of the angel.
  7. Take the red chenille stick and cut a 4 inch piece and add a bit of glue to the center of the back and attach to the angel head. Fold in at the ends a bit to form her hands. Glue in a small flower so it looks like she is holding it.
  8. dark haired angel ornament sitting on a table

9. Hang her on your tree or make several more for a table decoration. ornament with ribbon hanger

Tip: Pine cones that do not like to stand up can be fixed by removing a few pieces of the pine cone off the bottom.

By Gem from VA

November 19, 2007 Flag

I found some turkeys made of pine cones in a craft store, I added orange yarn, glued on leaves with guests names on them and used them for place settings. Everyone LOVED them and they were so easy to put together. They looked so cute on the table.

Place Setting Pinecone Turkeys

December 14, 2015 Flag

Making a Pinecone PenguinThis is a guide about making a pine cone penguin. With all of the pine cones on the ground, now is the perfect time to make some of these cute little penguins.

November 19, 2008 Flag

pinecone bird in small jute covered flowerpotWe love to use "things to make things"! My daughter (9) and I made this bird from 2 pine cones. We made his wings from some wide cloth ribbon, eyes from broken necklace beads, beak from scrap ribbon and the tail from braided jute. We covered a experimentally painted terra cotta pot with braided jute. You could use a variety of other things to decorate the pot and make the bird accessories.

By Ginok from Wayne, OK

October 12, 2012 Flag

We made door hangings with the long pine cones by using red velvet, wide ribbon the length you choose for your door, and wired a couple of long pine cones at the end of the ribbon. We used a round gold ring at the top for hanging. We also added some artificial greenery at the top for decorative purposes. The ribbon could be used plain or add a little snow glitter for a different effect.

By HerkDia from Baltimore, MD

September 22, 2008 Flag

My father has thousands of the long leaf pine cones from our state tree. He also has home grown gourds almost ready for harvest. He is semi retired and has farmed all his life. How can I help him sell his gourds? Picking up the pine cones gives him something to do at his age. I want him to stay active working the ground, we are blessed with nature crafts in NC.

JH from Eastern North Carolina

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it were in this town I would pile some on a table out front with a "for sale" sign & hope nobody turned me in -- a lot of times people can do that here - sometimes a neighbor gets irate about it but not often -- or find a farmers market near you : http://www.organic.org/storefinder - the open air kind & I found out this summer whoever wants to can pull up their produce or craft onto the parking lot & sell off the tailgate or out of the trunk or set up a table & not pay anything & sell things.

Also our local radio will let you sell 3 items at a time that they read on the air off a post card you submit the details of your items on.If time permits the next day I think they reread it FREE !

You can try to contact some of the craft shows. They might know of tv host who are willing to purchase the gourds. Also check with the local craft stores. If you decorate them they want to want to use(or rent) for their display. Also local stores might be looking for decorations for their windows. Ask around.

I was just at the dollar store & they were selling a bag of pine cone Christmas tree ornaments. All they did was glue a thin ribbon, yarn or a piece of thick fishing line in the shape of a loop to the top of the pine cone then either spray paint them gold or they sprayed on an adhesive then dipped them into glitter. You can also buy glitter-glue at the dollar store or can also buy spray on glitter at any craft store in the floral supply area. I would recommend Elmer's or tacky-glue or maybe even super-glue to attach the loops to the top. I wouldn't recommend hot glue or a bendable glue like E-6000. Make sure your glue dries clear.

I would think the easiest way to get the glitter or metallic paint on them would be to first glue the loops to the tops, then wait overnight for them to dry, then thread each one on to a dowel & prop the dowel with the pine cones hanging from it between 2 boxes then spray them with the metallic paint. (do this outside)

The same dollar store (Dollar Tree) sold a dozen of these metallic or glitter pine cones in a mesh bag for $1. They also sold a dozen PLAIN, regular pine cones in a mesh bag in the craft area. They just plain pine cones, nothing special. I think they were bagged up for people that don't have access to pine cones or people that don't have the energy to go outside in the cold to pick them up off of the ground themselves. They were sold for gluing or wiring to wreaths & such. The bags they were in looked like the kid of plastic mesh produce bags you often find onions in. To find these bags, just Google "mesh produce bags".

Pine Cone Wreaths

We use to make these from pine cones from my parents property.

Flat round wire wreath. It looks like circles with slight rise in between them from Michaels or craft store.

Large bucket of pine cones.

Put pine cones in bag temporarily. Fill the large bucket about half full of HOT WATER. Submerse pine cones in hot water. They will begin to tigthen up. Once this has happened and water has cooled off take individual pine cones and put the bottom ends at an angle into the wired wreath spaces. Work around the wreath form until you have completed your circle. Let the wreath dry flat a day or so and the pine cones will open up and be snug in the wreath form (NO GLUE NEEDED). It's neat to see this happen and it looks so much harder once the wreath is complete than it actually was. I just can't imagine some of the time spent on the wired pine and nut wreaths.

Depending on the size of your wire wreaths, you can have large or small wreaths in the end. Once dried you can leave natural and add a bow or spray with a clear water based polyurethan, or spray with a little spray glue and add glitter. These store for several years easily. Have fun.

April 19, 2012 Flag

I am looking for easy (ages, 6, 8, and 10) crafts to make with grandchildren. We live in a forest area so pinecones are readily available. Thank you for any help you can give.

By Henrietta M.

Cover them in peanut butter and then roll in bird seed and hang them up. You can also cover them in glue and roll in glitter.

One year I made Christmas wreaths - Take each pine cone and put glitter on - I used spray glue and then green or red glitter in a bag and shook each pine cone. I then screwed little closed hook pins in the bottom of each pine cone and tied Christmas ribbon through each then gathered up the ends (staggered in length) and tied a knot. These hang on your door.

For Thanksgiving, lay the pinecones on their sides, glue on googly eyes on the pointed end, stick feathers or leaves in the fat end, and twigs to help your "turkey" stay in one spot.

For Christmas mini-trees, stick the fat end of the cone into a pot or jar or bowl with sand, or plaster or clay to hold the "tree" upright. Then glue mini ornaments, or sequins, buttons, glitter on the bracts.

Make a owl with Large pine cones. Level bottom of the pine cone. I use pieces of feathers for ears on top of Owl. Felt peak, and use Large Craft store plastic eyes. Take cloths dryer lint and stuff it in the pine cone. It appears as a downy whitish colored owl.

July 19, 2003 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas what can be done with whole lot of pine cones? I have hundreds in my yard and would like to help someone with how they could use them or what to do with them. Thanks.

Load More
Crafts NatureOctober 2, 2012
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
Making Scented Pinecones
Making Scented Pine Cones
Pine Cone Wreath
Collecting Pine Cones for Crafts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:23:49 AM on 10.0.2.68 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.