Disney World Frugal Travel Guide

There are a number of ways you can save money when visiting a theme park. This page contains Disney World frugal travel guide.

Disney World
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

This will be my daughter Mackenzie's first time going to Disney in Florida. We saved and saved for this trip. I found a FANTASTIC deal on the non stop flight there and back for $76.33 and we got a 4 star hotel for $31.00 a night. Passes for Disney were a huge chunk out of our money, but again I found a fantastic deal on those. 6 days of passes for 215.00. We are super, super excited about this trip.

The reason I am writing to all of you is to ask for cheaper ways to eat while we are there besides packing our lunches. Maybe some of you know of little places that you maybe have been while you were there or just thriftier ways to get our meals and we do need to get those little souvenirs. : ) We are going when it will be the hottest, but again that saved us money. We leave at the end of August.

Any tips please send them.

Thank you,
Tracey from Gregory, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The counter service type restaurants inside the parks will have the cheapest food although still can be expensive, but portions are usually generous so you can share. My biggest advice is have some water bottles or some sort of sports bottle for each family member that you can refill with water. Drinks in the parks are very high and you don't want to be drinking sweet stuff all day anyway. If one of you carries a backpack, fill it with some cereal bars, fruit, etc. to snack on. If your hotel provides a complimentary breakfast, eat big so that you can snack for lunch and then have a nice dinner.

Best Answer

I grew up with four brothers and my parents took us to Cedar Point every year. One thing we did was in the middle of the day we got our hands stamped and went to the hotel to swim and cool off. If you have a younger one, he may need a nap. While we were there, we had cold meat sandwiches and whatever snacks my mom brought on the trip or bought at the grocery there. We all enjoyed the break and cooling off in the pool. We went back to the park refreshed and ready to finish out the day till closing time!!

Best Answer

Sounds like everyone has some great ideas! My best advice, eat breakfast in your room before you leave (pig out!), take bottles of water and snacks for the day, and eat a nice chain place for dinner. Tell your daughter she can have one "yummy" at the parks, like an ice cream as a treat, that will be expensive enough. I can't agree more to get that fridge in the hotel room. Worth every penny! (And I remember lots of drinking fountains in the parks!)

Read More Answers...

Just returned from a trip to Disney World with my family. We stayed on the property and were able to take advantage of the meal plan, which seems expensive at first but is a money saver. The plan gives you one snack, one counter service meal and one sit down dinner per day.

On the last day, we realized we had several counter service meals that we had not used and found out by asking that we could cash them in for snacks - 1 counter service meal = 3 snacks. We purchased Mickey cookies prewrapped and brought them home as gifts instead of just leaving the dollar amount at Disney unused.

By Jeannie from Williamsburg, PA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We are planning to go to Disney World. Does anyone know if I can have someone in Florida buy tickets to Disney for me, or do residents have to show ID?

By Lee from Waterford, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not worried so much about getting tickets, It's just that Florida resident tickets are so much cheaper. Just trying to save a buck.

Read More Answers...

We are going to Walt Disney World on Oct 22, 2010. Any tips on this?

By Judy from Xenia, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try to eat outside the park most of the time or take your own food. Restaurants inside the park are twice as much as those outside the park. A $3.00 McDonalds hamburger outside will be $6 to $6.50 inside the park.

Read More Answers...

Save time and frustration on your Disney World vacation by preplanning the rides and places of interest that you want to see. Then order the FREE customized keepsake quality maps of each of the parks. These come direct from Disney World so they are perfectly accurate, visually beautiful and very high quality, all at no cost. I just received mine and they truly are beautiful!

You select the restaurants, entertainment, and attractions. They mark out all the stops for you and then mail you a customized map! The maps are so visually realistic that you can clearly tell where buildings and landmarks are. This is fantastic for everyone, but especially for those of us who have been before and want to save time seeing only specific things. Check it out. If the link doesn't work, just do a search at the Disney site for customized maps.

View This Page

This page is not on ThriftyFun, but we had to share it. Be sure to come back and rate it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel and Recreation Travel Guides US States FloridaAugust 19, 2013
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
An aerial photo of Disneyland.
Saving Money on a Disney Vacation
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Disneyworld Highway Sign
Saving Money at Disney World
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 4:16:16 PM on 10.0.1.172 in 666 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.