Drainage Problem - Hill Slopes Towards My House

I have a yard that slopes toward the house and there is no drain. Is there anyway to fix my drainage problem without tearing out the entire yard and patio and putting in a drain? Thanks.

MP from Newport Beach

Answers:

My next door neighbor had the same problem. He put a small pipe underground on each side of the yard that was underground in the back yard and above the ground in the front yard. It ran under the privacy fence gate and it solved the problem. They had water run into their home in the back door several times before that. The pipe was very inexpensive and it was maybe 6 inches round and maybe 6 feet long. (02/18/2005)

By acope

You don't have to 'tear out the entire yard'. Leaving a flat area behind the house of a few feet, dig a trench at the base of the slope and insert agricultural drainage pipe to collect the water and divert it away from the house. I have a sloping garden at the back and am putting in a low retaining wall, (approx. 1, rising to 2 feet as there is also a lateral slope), at the edge of the veranda to stop any soil wash off and a drainage pipe the garden side of the wall to drain the water off to the side of the house and into a neighbouring paddock.

Regards

Jo (02/18/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Oops - forgot - I'm in Australia where water is a scarce commodity and in one area of driveway I am digging a gravel filled trench across, (at right angles to), the driveway to stop wash outs and divert the water, a valuable resource, to a garden bed so if its possible try to divert the water away from where you don't want it to where it can be utilised on another area of the garden.

Regards

Jo (02/18/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Drainage Problems in My Back Yard
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Creating Adequate Drainage
Creating Adequate Drainage in Your Yard
Toddler Being Aggressive
Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling
🎉
🎄