Easiyo Yogurt Maker Tips

I have been given an Easiyo yogurt maker and as I am used to making my own yogurt, I do not want to use their sachets. Has anyone used this to make their own yogurt?

Maree

Answers:

Easiyo Yogurt Maker Tips

I have one of these and I use a pot of natural yogurt as a starter. Just heat milk to 45 degrees centigrade, mix with the yogurt and a tablespoon of dried milk (this helps to thicken it). Leave overnight and the next day it should be ready. (05/13/2007)

By Grandma H

Easiyo Yogurt Maker Tips

Thanks Grandma - very grateful for your prompt response. Your yogurt recipe is very similar to mine, but my problem is this; according to the Easiyo instructions the mixture is placed in the container cold and then boiling water is put inside the thermos part. Of course, like yours, my culture is approx. 45C and I am worried that if I add the boiling water it will be too hot and I will kill the culture.

I tried by just putting some boiling water in the bottom of the Easiyo container (just a little) and everything seemed to go well. But, after I transferred the yogurt into another container in order to use the Easiyo one for my next batch, the yogurt became quite runny after it had been in the fridge for a few hours, even though it had been very thick and creamy when I first put it in. Sorry for such a long explanation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (05/13/2007)

By maree

Easiyo Yogurt Maker Tips

I have the same yogurt maker. You can make your own yogurt in the usual way but make sure it is a little on the cool side (just tepid but not warm) when you start it off with the boiling water in the container. Also, it makes a difference what sort of yogurt you use to start it off. If you want thick and creamy then start it off with Greek style thick yogurt.

By the way, all yogurt leaks out "water" over time. Simply drain it off and your yogurt will be fine. You can also simply stir it in but I find it makes the yogurt fairly runny. Remember that yogurt you buy ready made often has additives to thicken it and to stop the water separating out. Enjoy your own pure yogurt! (05/14/2007)

By Sheena

Easiyo Yogurt Maker Tips

Hi Sheena. Thanks for the info. Especially about water "leak." Sorry, I have a further question - a bit dense of me - but: Do you scald the milk and then cool the mixture to tepid before you put it in the Easiyo? Or do you just make the culture with tepid milk and have the yogurt at room temperature? I do use Greek yogurt as a starter. Hope my question makes sense. Thank you very much for your response. You, and people here are very generous with sharing information.

Thanks again. (05/16/2007)

By maree

Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Plastic bottles of white drinkable yogurt.
Making Drinkable Yogurt
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk
🎄