I bought a used camper and found mold and soft wood in the back of a cupboard that apparently had water leaking into it. What can we mix up (or buy) to kill the mold and prevent it from coming back? We hope we have stopped the leak. We don't want to just "clean" it, we want to kill the mold. Thanks.
Louise from IL
You need some type of fungicidal cleaner. Chlorine bleach comes to mind first and is very effective, but of course can bleach color and can cause rot problems as well in some materials. There are also commercial products (check Lowe's or Home Depot).
However, to be honest, wood is porous and you may not truly be able to get rid of the mold. Your best option may be to remove the old wood and replace it with new wood. (04/16/2008)
Try Odoban that is the correct spelling of product sold in Sam's probably and other places. Germicide kills odors, bacteria, mold, and mildew. Will have to dry for several days.
You maybe able to paint the area using a blocking primer and a good quality paint. Check with local paint supplier they can tell you if it can be saved and a safe way to do it. (04/16/2008)
By Patti R
When it rains, my garage gets 2+ inches of water which wicks up the wall board. Bleach didn't do that great a job, so I bought Krud Kutter at Lowe's for $11.47 a gallon. Sprayed the area and the mold was gone in 2 days! I made sure the area was "dripping wet" and it was absorbed into the wall board killing the mold. I now repeat this about every 3-4 months after several "floods" in my garage. Also, I use it in laundry for those really dirty clothes (grass stains from week whacking), soiled dog beds, stains on counter tops,and soot off painted walls from ionizer that "burped" with no damage to the paint. The only place you can't use it is on finished wood, it will take it down to the bare, unfinished wood. (04/16/2008)
Home Depot sells a product called "Concrobium" very low odor a friend just told me about it yesterday.
I previously suggested Odoban, but it smells like high power Pine Sol.
By Patti R
My son works for an insurance company and investigates for fraud. He had attended a course and was told that once mold has appeared, you will never be able to get rid of it. Whatever you use on it will only make it invisible. You have to replace the area where mold is. (11/30/2008)
You can put bleach in a spray bottle (from Dollar store), spray the mold every day till it's gone, it works. Good luck. (02/27/2009)
By k w
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!