How can I get rid of lady bugs in my house?

We just moved in our new house in August. And it is nearly the end of October and our house has been taken over by a form of ladybugs. I am going crazy, from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed I am constantly dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs. I have been vacuuming them away constantly. It seems to work, but every time I think I got them all, along comes another batch. Any ideas or proven remedies? Please help.

By Robin from Burgettstown, PA

Answers:

Insect repellent spray bombs placed a few yards apart in the crawl space under the house worked for us. What few did come in, I was able to control using PineSol and water in a jar with screw top lid. My vac was not needed to get these insects which leave an odor that can cause health problems. Do a Google search and you can learn about that. (10/23/2009)

By Lorelei

If the ladybugs you are talking about are more of an orangish color instead of red, they are an Asian ladybug, and they are a seasonal problem here in the northeast. They come out in the late fall, and they will go away when the weather gets cold. What we do is vacuum them up where ever we find them, but if they're a huge problem, you could try using an insect bomb in your house. Just make sure you follow the directions on the can very carefully. (10/24/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Click on the link and read the heading, "Abstract" to get the scoop on health issues concerning these Asian beetles.
The odor they loose in a vacuum is offensive.

ipm.osu.edu (10/24/2009)

By Lorelei

There is a spray called Home Defense (we get it at the local lumber yard) that works wonders. You spray around the outside of your house foundation and around the windows and any other openings. This really helps keep them out. If an occasional one does get in it doesn't live long after crossing the spray line. (10/27/2009)

By starxmn

I have a few in my house, too. They seem to congregate by my lights. So I take a cup and a card or newspaper, flip them into the cup and cover it. Once you get a few in there, open a window and shake the cup so they fly out.

They can fly in when you are simply walking into your home. They are small so its hard to notice. I seem to catch 7-10 every day and set them free again.

A few years ago we had a huge amount so hubby just opened the windows and they flew out themselves. If it is a day that its a little warmer then it is also a great way to freshen the air in your home too. (11/16/2009)

By dvg

Gee, don't kill the lady bugs. They are an excellent clean up crew for the garden. Gently pick them up and take them outside. They are probably trying to get out of your house, too. (11/16/2009)

By sabrinadog

I just heard about this last night on the radio. It was suggested that a light box can be used since they are attracted to the light and then they can be transported all at once to the great outdoors away from the house. I'm not sure of where to get a light box at. Here's a website that may help:
For more detailed information on ladybugs, visit the Ladybug Lady's website: ladybuglady.com.

You could also use a "shop vacuum". This type of vacuum is easy to use for collecting ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all are cleaned up at one time, release the unwelcome guests outside. Hope something helps. (11/16/2009)

By dbleoangel

Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Ladybug on a blade of grass
Lady Bug Photos and Information
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Housefly.
Keeping Bugs from Coming in The House
🎄