Making A Cheap Compost Bin

How do I make a cheap compost bin?

Casey from Sherman, TX

Answers:

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

I made mine from a food grade steel barrel with a clamp top lid. Open the lid, roll it around the yard.
Be sure to give it some air. (09/24/2008)

By rlund3

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

I read this online somewhere and want to try it next summer, although it takes some work to get it ready. One way to make a small compost bin is to take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and drill holes randomly beginning about 6 inches from the top (this keeps it from attracting scavengers). The holes must be big enough to allow earthworms to pass through and aerate the compost. Then dig a hole large enough for the bucket to be almost flush with the ground. Fill it, snap on the lid, and stir it once a week. (09/24/2008)

By ajf54

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

We made one with a 55 gallon metal barrel. We partially buried it in the ground (about 2/3's), after adding some holes to the bottom. It needed to be turned over occasionally. It takes up very little space, and you get good compost quickly. I liked to keep the cover on. It kept animals out. (09/25/2008)

By mulberry204

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

I am using a large plastic tote box for mine. I drilled a couple of holes in the sides for drainage when i water the compost. I works just great. I also bought some compost booster at Lowe's. Just sprinkle it over and water in. Janette (09/25/2008)

By ashleybunkin

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

We made ours out of three free pallets. I have two. One I fill all Summer long and then in the Fall I get manure and make layers. (09/25/2008)

By Ole Lulu

Making A Cheap Compost Bin

We made one from a discarded dishwasher. We dug a hole large enough for the dishwasher to fit on it's back into the ground. The door was then on the top and it was perfect for compost. (09/26/2008)

By melody_yesterday