Making Soap Without Lye

I would like to try making my own soap, but am a little concerned of any fumes given off when using lye since I have asthma. Is it necessary to use lye in soapmaking? Are there recipes out there for making soap without lye?

Terry Lynn from Toronto, Ontario

Making Soap Without Lye

To make real soap you must use lye. But you can purchase the bars of melt and pour soap. You just melt it and add any additional ingredients and pour it into molds. The melt and pour comes in a variety of types including clear glycerin. Just do a google search for melt and pour for both the products and recipes. Good luck (10/27/2005)

By klr2080

Making Soap Without Lye

I haven't tried this one yet, but it is in my science book. I'm going to try it this week.

Prepare a soluction of baking soda by dissolving 5 grams in 10 milliters of water

Mix the baking soda solution with 20 grams of lard in bowl/pan.

Boil gently for 20 minutes. Stir constantly while mixture is boiling.

Let the mixture cool. Transfer to plastic bowl. Place in an ice water bath for 5-10 minutes. Stir. Make a saturated salt solution by dissolving 20 grams in 25 milliters of water. Add to the mixture. Stir.

Remove soap curdles by pouring through cheesecloth. Drain any liquid. Put soap into a dish to dry and harden.

By cross_fire_books

Cutting Homemade Soap into Bars
Making Soap Without Lye
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale