Making Tire Planters

Old tires have been used for years to make inexpensive and creative planters. This is a guide about making tire planters.

May 10, 2007 Flag

Information on making recycled tire planters.

Christopher Lowell's Tire Planter

I have instructions for a tire planter from the Christopher Lowell Show. (Outdoor dynamics for Dummies show).

Materials

Directions

Draw pattern with chalk along side wall on one side of tire. Space scallops/ or ^^^ evenly around tire. Start at tread and end close to rim. Cut out with knife, using straight up and down motion, pointing blade away from yourself. This wil separate the tire into two pieces. Place your foot in center of rim and pull one scalloped edge toward yourself, this turns it inside out. Continue until it forms planter with pedestal. Fill with potting soil. Can spray paint planter to jazz it up.

Good luck, I am going to make mine this week.

By Claudia

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Christopher Lowell's instructions, including photos.

Felder Rushing Style Planter

Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences has great insturctions for making a tire planter: "Finding the right tire is essential in making a tire planter. The tire you select should be well worn, and pliable in the shoulder area of the tire (what Felder calls the "sweet spot"), just below the tread. You can tell if the tire is a good candidate by pushing in on the shoulder area with the palm of your hand. If there is plenty of "give" in this area, the tire should be easy to work with. If not, you should find another one to use."

Swan Planters

You can make a swan planter out of a tire. At RonsSwan.com they have a PDF with step by step instructions. They recommend using a scooter tire:
Type of tyre
The kind of tyre you use is important. An ordinary car tyre has steel belting so is near impossible to cut and will have sharp edges. I made Ron from old Vespa motor scooter tyres as they are easier to cut. If you could source some very old car tyres which are textile belted, they would be suitable, but still very hard to cut by hand.

To downlod the PDF go to Download PDF

I have been rolling around on the ground for 4 hours trying to turn a tire inside out. I have cut 2" back from the bead on both sides. I want to use this as a pedestal for a rain barrel. Looking at some of these, I must be missing something.

I would like to find out more ideas for tire crafts?

The new place for the how-to-make-tyre-swans tutorial is http://tyreswans.blogspot.com.au/p/how-to-make-tyre-swan.html

We love having tyre swan image contributions too.

RonDSwan

I would like the parrot pattern if possible.

April 20, 2013 Flag

If I use regular paint (lots left over from reno) on the tires, how do I seal them to protect against the elements?

By Baer

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I bought some Kilz and painted the tires. This seals them and makes the color more vibrant.

April 27, 2003 Flag

Looking for info on how to make planters out of old tires. Thank you.

http://www.wuvie.net/tireplanter.htm

Here is a great site telling you how to make these planters.

Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersApril 21, 2013
brightly colored tire planters
Reusing Tires in the Garden
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Uses for Old Tires
Uses for Old Tires
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
🎉
🎄