Making a Sports Jersey Quilt

A great memory quilt can be made for your sports enthusiast or athlete from a sports jersey collection. This is a guide about making a sports jersey quilt.

June 8, 2005 Flag

I took all the softball jerseys from my granddaughter's years of playing softball and made her a huge quilt from them. She cherishes this quilt and it brings back lots of memories for her.

By Ruby

What a loving, thoughtful, wonderful idea. You must be a much-loved grandma!

TerryfromChilliOH

Do you have a photo of the quilt? I'd love to see it!

Could you please provide a photo of this great idea, or a web site, suggestions, etc.? Thanks so much!

I would really love to make a quilt for my soccer daughter. She has played since she was 8 and now plays in college. She will soon play her last game and I would love to give her a quilt of her jerseys. Can you help get me started? Thanks so much.

Looking for ideas into making my son a quilt with his hockey jerseys. Thanks.

I would love to make a jersey quit. i am re doing my room and I haven't found a bed spread that I like. I think a jersey quilt is the perfect idea! Do you have any pictures? I would love to see what one would look like.

These quilts I made out of soccer jerseys, 2 of them are my own children, and the other one was for a friend. What a great way to get the jerseys out of a BOX and still have them as a keep sake! They loved them!

This is made from AYSO soccer jerseys. The fronts (V necks) have parts from the same sleeve jersey to make and equal block. The borders are also used from the "leftovers" scraps from the jerseys.

February 8, 2005 Flag

Take the jerseys you have accumulated and make them into quilt squares. This is a neat keepsake. My son is in hockey and has a lot of jerseys.

January 12, 2013 Flag

Will the edges of the jersey fray if not tucked under?

By Claudia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

More likely to curl some than fray. Maybe a small run here or there if the item is roughly handled. Jersey holds up well in that respect.

Usually jersey fabrics will curl, but as the other poster said, sometimes jersey will 'run', too. Either way it's not an attractive finish on a quilt.

You can make your own binding (see link below) or you can buy pre-made blanket binding to finish the edge, and you'll be a lot happier with the professional look to your lovely handcrafted quilt. Binding will also maintain the shape so the quilt will have a longer life.

http://quilting.about.com/od/bindingaquilt/ss/binding_strips.html

Probably not, but the raw edges of your seams may curl. Also zigzag seam finish would just make it look more finished.

February 18, 2008 Flag

I am unable to locate instructions, to create a jersey quilt, out of fire dept. jersey shirts. Can you recommend a link of instructions?

Thank you, Laura

Try looking up TShirt quilts, Tshirt memorabilia quilts, I think that might get you more information.

Hope that helps!

I just watched a show on TV that I think might apply to you called : "Quilting with Special Fabrics", on a PBS TV show called "America Quilts Creatively". And, because jersey is a knit & stretches somewhat, I'd follow the directions for the "minky" fabric, because "minky" is slippery, can't be ironed & it stretches quite a bit, what they did was use a light weight interfacing under it to stabilize it.

HERE'S WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE NOTES FROM THAT SHOW: (705 Quilting Special Fabrics)

http://www.americaquiltscreatively.com/projects_detail.asp?id=86

---> Hey, just in case you've never seen this show, It's REALLY good! And I don't even quilt! But at towards end of the show, the have a "technology" segment & I really like that! Not only do they teach you how to use quilting software for your computer, they show you how to do fun & unusual kinds of sewing projects. Lots of great ideas too!

Crafts QuiltingOctober 22, 2012
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
New Jersey Christmas Charities
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
🎉
🎄