Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Organizing Clothes

0 0EmailFollow
Organized Clothes in Closet

Organizing your clothing can be very helpful, no matter what the reason. This is a guide about organizing clothes.

Solutions: Organizing Clothes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Prepare Next Week's Clothes on Sunday Afternoon

Put your clothes together on Sunday afternoon for the whole week. I iron and hang everything together. I put outfit, jewelry and underwear on the hanger with socks/hose and shoes directly underneath.

This saves about 30 minutes every morning with trying to get out the door to work. Try it your life will be a little less stress. I have been doing this for over 30 years and have many followers. Just be sure and check the weather every Sunday.

By DaTeach from Pensacola, FL

Tip: Getting Rid Of Old Clothes

I usually clean my closet and chest of drawers out about twice a year. I take out all the things I can no longer wear and older things. I have a yard sale with these things plus other odds and ends collected around the house that are no longer wanted.

After the yard sale, I carry all of the things left over to Helping Hands (a local charity). They use some of it for victims of fire, tornadoes, and the homeless and needy, the rest goes in their store for sale to the public. It helps out Helping Hands, and it lets me get rid of unwanted clothing and things.

By Paula from Kosciusko, MS

Article: Keep No More Than 30 Tops

30 Tops - TOPS!This is an idea I've been slowly implementing. If you have 30 tops (many women have 150 or more including tees, tanks, sweaters, sweatshirts, long sleeved, short sleeved, dress blouses, cotton blouses, etc.), you could wear each top ONLY ONCE A MONTH for an entire year!

A hundred years ago, even 30 tops would have seemed an extravagance few could afford and fewer could probably fit in those non-existent clothes closets. But now we Americans, at least according to the less is more Europeans, are swimming in a sea of mediocre at best clothing.

Imagine for a moment you cull the absolute best 30 tops from all the closets, drawers, laundry baskets, and to be folded piles of laundry all around your house and you toss anything that isn't in the top 30. Now, each day, you will be wearing your "best" stuff and need not fear running into your boss, old boyfriend, new client, or new friend from your yoga class looking schleppy. You'll be dressed your best each and every day.

Now let's take it a step further. Let's say that old group of 100 tops was bought new for about $20 each. That is $2000 in clothing, most of which will not wear well, stay stylish for long, or be worth more than $1.00 at a garage sale within a year or less.

If instead, you were starting from scratch (which you won't have to if you're like most over clothed Americans) and buying only 30 tops for the whole year. That same $2000 will buy 30 tops around $66 each. J Crew has good quality clothing and you could currently buy a "featherweight cashmere short-sleeve sweater" on sale for $59.99 (Reg. $148).

This is a FAR better option than buying 3 cheaply made $20 tops. The cashmere will stay in style and last likely four or more years at an annual cost of $15 or less. If you repeat this thinking with all your clothing, buying good quality clothing on sale, you will soon build an impressive, high quality wardrobe for less or no more than you spend now and will up your style quotient exponentially.

Source:

By frugal millionairess from Wisconsin

Tip: Take Photos of Complete Outfits

I enjoy wearing my separates in various combinations. Often when I've put together an outfit I really enjoy, I can't remember the top, bottom, jewelry, shoes, belt, hair accessories, etc. that made the whole ensemble a hit.

After receiving a camera phone as a gift, I've started to take pictures of myself wearing the outfit (use a full length mirror), I have a friend take the picture, or I just lay the pieces together on the floor. I will take close-ups of jewelry, belts, scarves, and shoes.

Transfer the pictures to your computer and print them. I use regular copy paper which is cheaper than photo paper. Assemble the pages in a 3-ring binder with vinyl sleeves, a photo book, or on a bulletin board if you have the space in a walk-in closet.

You can categorize by Casual City Wear, Country Wear, Clubbing, Summer, Winter, Dressy, or whatever helps you to find them. This has helped me recreate a smashing look and has challenged my creativity. Meanwhile I'm getting more use out of the clothes I have and saving money by preventing more purchases. Just as importantly, though, I'm no longer forgetting a smashing look nor do I ever feel that I have nothing to wear.

By Pinky from Granite Falls, MN

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Organizing Clothes.

Question: Organizing Clothes Without a Dresser

How do I organize my clothes if I don't have any dressers? I have a huge room with nothing but a TV stand and a TV. I also have a radio which is sitting on the floor. I have a big closet that's already full of clothes on hangers and clothes also on the top racks in the closet. How can I organize my room in a cute way? I wish ThriftyFun could give my room a makeover.

By candypoo88 from Jackonville, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Sandra Zinner Cook [1]04/26/2011

Buy those colored cubes that they put toys in. They look like milk crates. Stack them up in an interesting way.

Question: Organizing Clothes That Can Be Worn Again Before Washing

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with clothes that you have worn, but feel like you could wear them again before washing? These items always get flung over a chair in my household.

I don't really want to hang them back up or put them back in the drawers, but I'm not sure of a good place to put them so things still look tidy. Any suggestions?

By StellBell from WA

Most Recent Answer

By Frances Adams [11]05/10/2011

If you have a covered porch, you could put it on the coat hanger, and hang outside where it could get the sun and fresh air. That is what I do to hubby's hunting clothes that he doesn't want washed just yet.

Question: Organizing Shoes and Clothing With Limited Space

My family (husband, myself, 4 year old son and a 10 year old daughter) moved into a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with my mother to save money for a house. However, I need ideas on how to organize our shoes and clothes using only two closets and minimal space.

Mrztaylor

Most Recent Answer

By Brenda [1]04/14/2009

I did a search on how to fold clothes. You'd be surprised how much space I saved by changing the way I folded my clothes!