Painting Dark Wood a Light Color

I have an old house with "knotty" wood pine walls which are very dark in color. I don't think they were stained, although I can't swear to that. How can I get them to a light grey color?

You might have to lightly sand the paneling, then put a coat of primer on it, and then paint it a light grey.

I had an entire room like that. It was very dark. Some people might have thought painting it was a mistake, but I have no regrets. I primed it well first, twice, and then painted it. Ten years later and the paint is still holding up.

Excuse my ignorance, but what it primer? I live in Europe and do not know exactly what that means but I sure do need to paint some dark painted wood.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJune 6, 2011
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Painting Walls a Dark Color
Painting Walls a Dark Color
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing