Painting Over Varnish

Our home was built in the early 70s. The wood was finished with high gloss varnish and now we want to paint over it. What is the least labor intensive way to prepare the high gloss surface? Thanks.

By Bert from Frederick, MD

Answers:

Painting Over Varnish

There is a petroleum based product (lots of fumes, you have to work with every window open) called Liquid Sandpaper which is supposed to "cut" the gloss so one can paint over shiny finishes, but I've tried it and didn't find it very good. I only mention it because someone is bound to suggest it. If you do try it, get the small container first and try it on one small area. If you are talking about cabinets you can have the fronts stripped relatively inexpensively at a stripping facility.

It would help to know if the varnish was traditional or polyurethane. I don't know how you remove polyurethane. There must be products out there.

The problem is people used to use oil based paints and I think you can paint over oil based paints with an oil based enamel, but most enamels are latex now, which are much cheaper, but can peel off oil paint surfaces. I am referring to old varnishes as well.

I would consult a paint store. Not the small department in a large store that sells groceries. A paint only store will have your answers and tell you what your range of choices are. (03/22/2010)

By PIKKA

Painting Over Varnish

Take the time to do the job right the first time. We tried to do it a quick way and are now having to strip everything off to do it right. It's going to take more time, energy, and money than initially doing the project correctly. (03/23/2010)

By susanmajp

Painting Over Varnish

One time I simply painted over the varnish with a quality semi gloss paint and it looked really cool because it had a crackly appearance after it dried, so maybe you could do a test section and see if you like the look before going all out with varnish removal. (03/23/2010)

By Deeli

Painting Over Varnish

Wash it down with TSP (Home Depot) and sand all over so paint will adhere. BTW, there is no "easy" way to repaint cabinets and have the job look good or have the paint stay on. Take your time, do it right and you'll be happy with the results. Take shortcuts and you'll be sorry. Varnish (several coats) after painting. (03/23/2010)

By ahastings7878

Painting Over Varnish
Painting Over Varnish
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Homemade Varnish Remover
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Varnished Desk Organizer
Cleaning Varnished Wood
🎉
🎄