Planning a 25th Wedding Anniversary With Renewal Of Vows

I was wanting to give my parents a wedding to re-new their vows for their 25th anniversary. Well, from the looks of it I am the only child of theirs that is willing to do this. But it will give me 2 years to plan and get things together. I need help please

Dee from Morrow, GA

Answers:

Go forward with this, your siblings will come on board soon enough! I think your idea is just awesome! (09/18/2007)

By kimhis

My daughters, in college, did this. I was in on it to advise them, but it was a surprise for their father. (Thank goodness he looked happy and eager.)

Participants limited to nearby relatives and close friends.

Don't forget a fee for the clergy. Use local clergy.

Had it in our vacation condo two hours from home. It had a lake and golf course view. For edibles, a buffet from the local deli.

I had bought two silver pendant necklaces as mementos for the girls. New silver rings for us. (It was a silver anniversary.)

The girls still wear their necklaces every day. (09/18/2007)

By the Oracle

I just read about a 25th party where the bride and groom danced in silver shoes made by a relative. The shoes were purchased at a resale shop (the right sizes of course) and spray painted silver and silver glitter was added before they dried. I understand the pictures of the bride and groom in silver shoes at their Silver Anniversary were great. (09/18/2007)

By Caryn from Illinois

My parent's celebrated their 50th Anniversary in 2006. My sister did the major part of the planning (she's marvelous at that kind of thing) and made arrangements to borrow the large barn (really a large finished family room) from a local family friend.

Special touches:

"My-own-opoly" game (google it - about $19.95). The game you buy provides a software package that helps you build a "monopoly" game using your family facts, pictures, homes and locations you are familiar with to build the game board and the cards you draw.

In our case we traveled a lot through out our parent's marriage and used several of our homes for the real estate.

I spoke with my parents on genealogy info leading up to the event to find out more background info and included questions about where they met (then found a picture of the place on the internet and put it in the game), also found pictures of each of their high schools in Texas.

The game included events throughout their 50 years of marriage, careers and from the lives of each of the four children's. Soccer, cheerleading, Air Force career, police officer, carpenter, mechanic, etc. The drawing cards used facts such as births as "good" events to get $$ and bad such as the time the engine on the truck caught fire a month after Mom decided she didn't need insurance on such an old truck!

Another idea to make the day special was to make a charm bracelet for Mom with one or two charms that identify one of the children or your father. For example, as above, a megaphone for the cheerleader; a tape measure for the carpenter, etc.

If I think of any of the other things we did, I'll post them. Good luck. It will be worth it! Renee

(09/18/2007)

By At Home with House

Make sure your parents want this kind of celebration.
I would not have wanted my kids to do it for us. (09/18/2007)

By WIsgal

A friend from church did our surprise 25th wedding anniversary celebration. She did a "pot luck" meal in the fellowship hall with the church ladies helping. And it was really nice, good meal, with decorations. Then a present table, and table decorated for us like wedding, complete with punch stem goblets. She even made a little "veil" headpiece for me. We had the meal, special music, and a special present time. Then went in the church to renew our vows, with only our pastor and his wife, and our children went in with us. I don't know how we got persuaded to the fellowship hall to begin with in our dress clothes? Our main present I loved, was a card with a certificate for a stay in a bed & breakfast, we had never had a honey moon and really enjoyed the trip. I still remember that special occasion on our 25th anniversary. And today we celebrate our 32nd anniversary.
Glinda & Ron (09/19/2007)

By glinda

I second the opinion of making sure this is something your parents would really like. This is not something I'd want my children to plan for me.

Usually, if this is something they truly wanted they would mention it and plan it for themselves. (09/23/2007)

By Casey

Double heart shaped chocolate cake that says "Wedding Anniversary" with a 25 decoration.  Black and white wedding picture in the background
Planning a 25th Anniversary with Renewal of Vows
Anniversary Party
25th Anniversary Party Ideas
25th Anniversary Gift
25th Anniversary Gift Ideas
holding wedding rings
Ideas for Renewing Your Vows
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
🎉
🎄