Retirement Party Ideas

Planning a retirement party for a friend or family member can be both fun and overwhelming at the same time. This is a guide about retirement party ideas.

Retirement Party Ideas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 16, 2013 Flag

My husband is a civil engineer who will be retiring after 37 years. I need ideas for party decorations. He loves old antique cars. Please help.

By Josie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since he likes old cars, I would start there. Have cake with an old model T. Use old tool boxes for floral or greenery and LED candles. Go to dollar/discount store and get several bandanas and use them for napkins. Just some ideas to get you started. Hope this helps.

Maybe a person doing 5 minute chair massages. Every one would love that, and probably needs one.

November 29, 2011 Flag

We are having a party for 3 correctional officers who are retiring. I would like to make some centerpieces for the table. I have about 3 yards of black and white striped cotton fabric. I would like to use plastic toy handcuffs and the fabric to make some kind of a centerpiece, but can't think of anything! If anyone has some ideas that they would like to share, I would really appreciate it.

By KH

Find a crafty person who can make a mock prison...with all the doors open! A large box painted like cinder blocks with painted on windows and bars would be perfect. Then, put the handcuffs on each persons plate unlocked as if to say "I'm free"! Whatever you do, please share a photo with us? Have fun!

Take the striped fabric and cut into napkin size squares and use the cuffs like a napkin ring. Or for a centerpiece, take a foam circle, cover air dry clay making it look rocky. When it is dry, glue a real rock or one you have shaped from the air dry clay to it and add a hammer made of a long piece of dowel with a shorter wider piece of dowel glued to the end hori zontallly. Prop the hammer against the rock and glue it to it.

May 13, 2012 Flag

I am having a retirement party for my boyfriend who is only 43 yrs old. He retired from a fire/EMS agency after 20 yrs. The party is being held at a local bar/grille and I need some neat ideas on funny things to do!

By Lori

I only have one idea but it's better than none.

Place an open beer bottle (not a can) on a small table or at the edge of a larger table. Place a ping-pong ball on top. Place the person about 20 steps away. Now tell them that they are going to "flick" the ping-pong ball off the top of the bottle with their finger. You know, hold one finger against your thumb to hold it back and then when you get to the item push your finger past the thumb so that it "flicks" out and pushes (or kicks) the item.

Here's the catch. They must close one eye. (You can get an eye patch for this so they can't cheat.) and hold their arm out straight. Using the one open eye, line up that stiff arm and try to "flick" the ping-pong ball off the top of the bottle. They will think they are drunk before they've had one beer!

October 31, 2005 Flag

I'm giving my supervisor a retirement luncheon. Does anybody have any good ideas or unique ideas?

Thanks,
Peggygv from TX

How about a "This is Your Life" theme? You could have an emcee to guide the "guests" from their life as they spoke at the luncheon or make a video highlighting the retiree's work and let people throughout that time (even people who no longer work there if possible) tell stories, what that person meant to them professionally (and personally ,too) or just record a greeting. You could have plates, napkins, balloons, etc. with their name, the company name and the year they started. Play songs like "The Way We Were" or songs from the year he started the company. You could make party favors with little booklets of facts from the year they started. You could even have a theme from the year they began throughout (like a 70's theme if they started in the 70's) and even have a 70's themed costume party with 70's prizes. Good luck!

Thanks Sheryl A. for the suggestions, you've given me some good ideas. Blessings!

I am doing the same thing for my mom, I am having a retirement luncheon for everyone she works with. I am making booklets with facts that people may not know about her, pictures, a note from her, notes from her colleagues, retirement quotes. I picked a pink and black theme. I also got a picture of her sketched and plan to have attendees sign around the edges.

September 6, 2007 Flag

My mom is officially retiring on Dec. 31. My sister and I would like to give her a retirement party. I am looking for theme ideas and is it OK for us kids to give it to her or should we leave it up to someone else? Please send me your ideas I need help.

Debbie, I think it's totally appropriate for you and your sister to throw your Mom a retirement party. I hosted my father's retirement party 17 yrs ago and my brother and sister helped with the cost and the work. It was just a simple family affair. We had a backyard cookout. We gave him a sort of gag gift....a rocking chair... and a nice frame which later I had a group picture of all of us enlarged and put in the frame

You can use all the Happy New Year theme to make it into "Happy New Life!"

February 24, 2010 Flag

I need ideas for a 40 year retirement party for a man.

Cookie from Missouri

Answers:

Retirement Party Ideas

I don't know if you are looking for serious or funny ideas, but this one could go either way. Ask the people who are coming to the party to bring him 40 of something. It could be 40 postcards for him to send as he vacations, or 40 aspirin he will no longer need with no more work headaches, or 40 silver dollars to play in slot machines. People can be really creative with this idea. (11/01/2006)

By Cathy C

Holidays and Parties Parties RetirementJanuary 18, 2013
Retired Couple on Bike Ride
Retirement Planning
Retirement Gift Ideas
Retirement Gift Ideas
Finding a Good Retirement Community, Houses in a retirement community.
Finding a Good Retirement Community
Fresh Fruit Cakes Being PRepared
Party Food Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:13:32 PM on 10.0.0.150 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.