Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Sea Shell Wind Chimes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Sea Shell Wind Chimes

A fun project that can include an adventure collecting shells at the beach. This guide is about sea shell wind chimes.

Solutions: Sea Shell Wind Chimes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Joyful Noise Sea Chimes

Joyful Noise Sea ChimesWindchimes made of sea things, beads, and recycled can lids seemed like a good fit for our deep sea-themed Bible School program. It will take two days. Kids will paint the shells, lids, and wooden beads, and add string, the first day; assemble the second day. Project would be good for a nature camp or pool party, too.

Approximate Time: Two 20-30 minute sessions.

• garden stakes or thick skewers, about 12 inches long
  • twine
  • waxed string or dental floss
  • shells with holes drilled in them
  • wooden and other beads
  • smooth can lids*, frozen juice lids, or plastic Pringle lids
  • small bells, optional

*Can lids must be the kind left when you use the Pampered Chef-style can opener. The other kind are too sharp around the edges!

Instructions:

First Day:

Allow kids to pick out shells and paint as desired. Let dry.

Let kids cut out Bible verses or quotes, which you have prepared to fit the lids and printed out as shown. Glue on one side of lids. Paint the other side of the lid. Let dry.

Also, you should have them attach the twine to the ends of the stakes for hanging. Then have them tie on three pieces of waxed string about 18 inches long for hanging the things on tomorrow.

Second Day:

String beads and shells on the strings. Tie knots every now and then to keep them from slipping off. Add stickers to back of lid and add to the end of the string.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Sea Shell Wind Chime

Sea Shell Wind ChimeA set of seashell wind chimes is a great reminder of a summer vacation at the shore. Kids and adults love to collect shells, and here's something creative to do with them!

What you need:

• Seashells. Preferably whole shells. Get more than you think you'll need, because a few may break.
  • Clear plastic thread, like fishing line.
  • A Phillips-head screwdriver or any tool with a point.
  • Scissors.
  • Something to hang your shells from, like a curved branch or a short wooden dowel.

Step One: Preparing the Shells

When you get the shells back home, the first thing you'll want to do is wash them! Clean out the sand, the bits of seaweed, whatever debris is stuck to the shell.

After the shells are dry, you are ready to make the holes. Young children may need an adult's help with this part! Take your screwdriver or other pointy implement and grab a shell. Pick the spot you want the hole to be -- mark it with a pen or marker if you need to. Using a twisting motion, bore a hole in the shell. Some shells are thicker than others; don't use too much pressure or the shell can shatter.

Step Two: Hanging the Shells

Measure a length of fishing line and cut it. If you want all your shells to hang at the same length, make all the plastic thread the same length. If you want your shells to hang at different lengths, make the thread different lengths!

Thread the fishing line through the hole and knot it securely. Tie the other end to whatever you are hanging your shells from -- a piece of branch, a wooden dowel, a piece of driftwood, whatever!

Step Three: Special Effects

Be creative! You can hang more than one shell on a piece of plastic thread; just be sure the thread is strong enough for the weight of the shells! Put smaller shells closer to the top and larger ones towards the bottom.

Once all the shells are tied to your branch, you can decorate the top to hide the knots. Wrap yarn around the branch or glue more shells along the top.

And don't forget you'll need a way to hang your seashell wind chimes! Take more fishing line (or a sturdier sort of line if you have it) and tie it to each end of your branch. Hang from a hook and wait for the wind to blow!

By Catherine Forman

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Sea Shell Wind Chimes.

Question: Sea Shell Wind Chime Instructions

I'm making my mother a sea shell wind chime for Mother's Day. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could put a small hole in the shells without breaking them?

Thanks to anyone who can help,
Brittany from Florida

Most Recent Answer

By MotherBear (Guest Post)01/25/2009

I just used a glover. This is a three sectioned pointed needle used with leather. My crab shell did not break due to the sharpness of the needle. For thicker shells, ie: mussels, etc. use a fine drill bit. These have worked for me. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft Project: Sea Shell Wind Chime

This is an sea shell wind chime I made when I got bored.

shellwindchime.jpg

By Joyce wis

Here are instructions for making the wind chimes. If you have any questions, please post them.

• 6 lbs fishing line
  • Sea Shells
  • Small drill bits
  • A star or circle for the top

I wanted something different so I got a star for the top instead of a circle -- I use 6 lb. fishing string, sea shells of any kind you want and a small drill bit.

Just be careful drilling the hole in the shell, because I did break 6 drill bits doing this. I bought the shells from a craft store so the shells were a little bit harder the regular shells are. I drilled a hole in just one end.

At each of the points of the star I tied the strings to go down. I didn't measure the string I just guessed at it, but it is about 2 ft. long. I put 6 sea shells down each string. Where I tyed the string together on the top, I put a fishing lure. I left it longer to come down for the center one where I have 8 shells coming down. I hot glued each one were i did tied the knots at so they wouldn't come out.

I hope this did helps you a lot. I also just got though making another one with the shells from when I go out too eat at a Chinese place here. Instead of leaving the clam shells there and let them throw them out I brought them home with me -- washed them up and let them dry.

Then the next day I drilled a hole in each end of it. There is 4 strands coming down with another in the middle.

Answers:
RE: Sea Shell Wind Chime 08/14/2005
Joyce - OH MY GOSH! Those are beautiful. I too have a bunch of shells that I have picked up on trips and the like. That is absolutely beautiful. I don't have any kind of drill though so could you please make a suggestion? I'd appreciate it. I am just jumping up and down on the inside. Thanks so much for the inspiration.
By TonyaG
RE: Sea Shell Wind Chime 04/26/2006
AWESOME
By imaqt1962