Starting a Weeping Willow Cutting in the Fall

Is it ok to start a weeping willow cutting in the fall?

By Debbie from IA

Tree Root Concerns

First, be sure you really, really want a willow tree. Willows are well known for their ability to locate and grow through water pipes, causing no end of problem. Some years ago, my willow tree located the gray water pipes (50+ feet away) and blocked them up. I got Roto-Rooter to come and clean them out. Then they told me their work was guaranteed for only 6 weeks! Any other type of tree would have been guaranteed for 6 months to a year or more, depending on the variety.

When we cut down the willow tree, the trunk was cut into large "slices" about 2 feet high. The slices lay on the ground for a few days before we could get to clean up, but my neighbor took one to use as an accessory table on his cement patio. Within a few days, it had sprouted! There are so many lovely trees that won't interfere with your plumbing. Maybe a maple?

By sarsi

Beware of Maples, Too

Maples will get into the plumbing too, especially the silver maples. Any tree planted close enough is a potential problem. I started 4" cuttings one fall, held them indoors under lights in a cold basement for the winter, and set them out the next year. They are now 12 feet tall a few years later.

By Contester

Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Starting a Weeping Willow Tree from a Cutting
Buying Weeping Willow Trees
Pussy Willow Plant
Starting a Pussy Willow Plant from a Branch
Photo of a large weeping willow tree.
Growing a Weeping Willow Tree