Training a Cat Not to Bite

I just got a 5 month old male cat this week. The people I got him from said that he would bite your ear. It is not just the ear he bites how do I keep him from biting?

Raylene

Answers:

Training a Cat Not to Bite

Here's what has worked; keep a squirt-spray bottle with you at all times. Mine came from the section for small toiletry items used in taking short trips. This one has an adjustable nozzle for a thin stream or wide spray. See which one your cat hates the worst. Use that one. An older kitten moved in here within the past year. It's taken about 6-8 months for this stubborn kitty to learn what he's not supposed to do. When he does it, he gets squirted, plain 'n simple. Some How-To websites suggest you aim for their nose or between the eyes; just aim for it's head or body and spray. One bottle has straight water, another one has some white vinegar in it. Squirted with the latter gets him moving faster. Now he responds quickly even to a gentle spray, with the nozzle fully wide. When he doesn't, it's back to the squirt. All that's hurt is his pride and he'll get over it, eventually. (08/14/2005)

By gator10tx

Training a Cat Not to Bite

The squirt bottle method does work eventually. Cats have their own pace, lol. Please be careful with the amount of white vinegar added to the squirt water, and not to get it into the cat's eyes. It does get a quicker response than plain water. Also, if you catch the cat doing something "bad" you can put a cloth dampened in water/vinegar mix over his nose for a few seconds. While this sounds cruel, if done carefully, (avoid eyes) it teaches the cat to associate the "bad" behavior with the awful vinegar, thus stopping the behavior. (08/15/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Training a Cat Not to Bite

Before Felix went to kitty heaven, I tried the squirt bottle, rolled up newspaper, and finally I put a few coins in a soda pop can and sealed the can and would shake it at him when he did something wrong. He would run and hide when he saw me have the can in my hand or if I would shake it at him. Cats don't like the sound. Good luck. (08/15/2005)

By Allenafd5

Training a Cat Not to Bite

Get him a toy! He is teething. When he bites get the toy out and change his thought process. (08/19/2005)

By LISADAWN

Training a Cat Not to Bite
dog biting
Training a Dog Not to Bite
toilet trained cat
Toilet Training Your Cat
Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite
A cat biting its owners finger.
Training a Cat Not to Bite
🎄