Vegetable Garden Planting Times

Vegetable garden planting times vary by the region in which you live and the type of veggie you wish to plant. This is a guide about vegetable garden planting times.

Filter Sort

Question: Vegetable Garden Planting Calendar

By Mariannina 1

I cannot find a planting calendar for a vegetable garden. I live in the South Coast, Batemans Bay, NSW Australia. What do you plant in spring, summer, and autumn? Can you suggest a month by month or a seasonal calendar? Many thanks.

By Mariannina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By llpensinger 15 64 Flag

found this on facebook didn't look into myself thought I would pass it along to you

gardners-index.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Planting a Late Vegetable Garden

By saylorkathy 1

How late can I plant a small basic vegetable garden in eastern Montana?

By saylorkathy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,697 Flag

Check with your local Extension Office (usually in white pages of your local phone directory under County Offices, or online - use the search term '(insert name of your county) Extension office'; online or in person you'll find get loads of great, free advice on gardening in your specific area. Your tax dollars at work:)

Most county extension offices publish free leaflets you can either pick up in the office or download from the website - and all of that info is geared towards your locale so that important gardening success factors like micro-climates specific to your area, first and last frost dates, and planting calendars are right there for you to use.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Vegetable Garden Planting Times

By Karolyn Oman 2

I am excited about having my "first time ever" backyard garden. Please advise planting times (between zones 7 and 8) for watermelons, banana cantaloupes, okra, and blackeyed peas. Thank you.

By KO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,697 Flag

If you live in the US, the best place for veg (and other plantings including landscape and flowers) advice is from your local extension office. The webpages for your county extension office are free to download/print and are specific to YOUR area-the pages will highlight information geared to the microclimates, what grows best there, and what plant pests and diseases are causing a concern-all of it local to your area!

You can find the phone number in the Government pages of your phone book or online by using the following search term:

cooperative extension office (insert name of your county and state)

For example, using the above as:

extension office houston county al

Brought up the following result:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en& ... 2900d7bac94&biw=1024&bih=654

For a sample of an extension office page on veg growing, see:

http://www.aces.edu/home-garden/law ... /veg-fruit-nuts/index.php#Vegetables

Your tax dollars at work (really:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Planting a Vegetable Garden

When would be a good time to seed veggies seeds and also when to plant?

By Jimmy R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

You plant the seeds inside in small peat pots about 2-3 weeks before you get ready to plant and tend to them indoors. Sunny spot, windowseal or such. You plant outside after the last frost, which typically (at least in the South) is right after Easter (although the weather is changing over the years and requires a bit of weather forecasting these days.) Review when the last frosts are your area, though, before planting outdoors.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Vegetable Planting Calendar for the UK

Where can I find a vegetable planting calendar for the UK?

By Dave from midlands England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,697 Flag

Hi Dave! I'm an American ex-pat living in east-central Scotland, and sometimes feel I'm having to learn gardening all over again since moving to the UK! I've found these three sites to be the most helpful:

http://www.gardeningzone.org/content/content.php/hardiness-zones-uk/

and

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/calendars-index.asp

and finally, the best of all (even though we don't have an allotment, the info works every bit as well in our home plot!):

http://www.allotment.org.uk/

Goo luck, hope this helps!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Growing Guide for Vegetables by Hardiness Zone

By Slingshot_317 6 3

At a time that I did not need it I ran across a pdf document that showed what kinds of plants could be planted and grown in a given zone (mine is DFW Texas). Would anyone have something like this that I could download? It was like a chart that showed a list of the vegetables then the months were listed across the top and it diagrammed what veggies could be grown during each month. I hope I am making sense.
Thanks.

By Slingshot_317 from TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Call your county extension office, ask them to send all info on gardening. They have what you need, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Planting and harvesting times for garden vegetables (PDF)

This guide will help you schedule the planting of gardens so space may be utilized efficiently. Designed for central Iowa, dates for southern Iowa would be about 1 week earlier, for northern Iowa about 1 week later. For more information on planting a vegetable garden, see Pm-819, Planting a Home Vegetable Garden.

2 Page(s)

• Radishes
  • Lettuces
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Cabbages
  • Broccoli and cauliflower
  • Collards and kale
  • Potatoes
  • Turnips
  • Snap beans
  • Sweet corn
  • Lima beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers and eggplants
  • Summer squashes
  • Cucumbers
  • Muskmelons
  • Watermelons

This article is available in PDF format. Click here to download it.

Published by: Iowa State University Horticulture Guide

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Vegetable Garden
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesFebruary 16, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Planting Tomatoes
Planting Tomatoes
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 2:50:02 AM on 10.0.0.85 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings