Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Vegetable Garden Planting Times

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Vegetable Garden

Vegetable garden planting times vary by the region in which you live and the type of veggie you wish to plant. This is a guide about vegetable garden planting times.

Solutions: Vegetable Garden Planting Times

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Planting and harvesting times for garden vegetables (PDF)

This guide will help you schedule the planting of gardens so space may be utilized efficiently. Designed for central Iowa, dates for southern Iowa would be about 1 week earlier, for northern Iowa about 1 week later. For more information on planting a vegetable garden, see Pm-819, Planting a Home Vegetable Garden.

2 Page(s)

• Radishes
  • Lettuces
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Cabbages
  • Broccoli and cauliflower
  • Collards and kale
  • Potatoes
  • Turnips
  • Snap beans
  • Sweet corn
  • Lima beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers and eggplants
  • Summer squashes
  • Cucumbers
  • Muskmelons
  • Watermelons

This article is available in PDF format. Click here to download it.

Published by: Iowa State University Horticulture Guide

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Vegetable Garden Planting Times.

Question: Vegetable Garden Planting Times

I am excited about having my "first time ever" backyard garden. Please advise planting times (between zones 7 and 8) for watermelons, banana cantaloupes, okra, and blackeyed peas. Thank you.

By KO

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie02/18/2013

If you live in the US, the best place for veg (and other plantings including landscape and flowers) advice is from your local extension office. The webpages for your county extension office are free to download/print and are specific to YOUR area-the pages will highlight information geared to the microclimates, what grows best there, and what plant pests and diseases are causing a concern-all of it local to your area!

You can find the phone number in the Government pages of your phone book or online by using the following search term:

cooperative extension office (insert name of your county and state)

For example, using the above as:

extension office houston county al

Brought up the following result:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en& ... 2900d7bac94&biw=1024&bih=654

For a sample of an extension office page on veg growing, see:

http://www.aces.edu/home-garden/law ... /veg-fruit-nuts/index.php#Vegetables

Your tax dollars at work (really:)

Question: Planting a Vegetable Garden

When would be a good time to seed veggies seeds and also when to plant?

By Jimmy R

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki10/18/2011

You plant the seeds inside in small peat pots about 2-3 weeks before you get ready to plant and tend to them indoors. Sunny spot, windowseal or such. You plant outside after the last frost, which typically (at least in the South) is right after Easter (although the weather is changing over the years and requires a bit of weather forecasting these days.) Review when the last frosts are your area, though, before planting outdoors.

Question: Vegetable Planting Calendar for the UK

Where can I find a vegetable planting calendar for the UK?

By Dave from midlands England

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie10/01/2011

Hi Dave! I'm an American ex-pat living in east-central Scotland, and sometimes feel I'm having to learn gardening all over again since moving to the UK! I've found these three sites to be the most helpful:

http://www.gardeningzone.org/content/content.php/hardiness-zones-uk/
and
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/calendars-index.asp

and finally, the best of all (even though we don't have an allotment, the info works every bit as well in our home plot!):

http://www.allotment.org.uk/

Goo luck, hope this helps!

Question: Vegetable Garden Planting Calendar

I cannot find a planting calendar for a vegetable garden. I live in the South Coast, Batemans Bay, NSW Australia. What do you plant in spring, summer, and autumn? Can you suggest a month by month or a seasonal calendar? Many thanks.

By Mariannina

Most Recent Answer

By looneylulu12/21/2010

found this on facebook didn't look into myself thought I would pass it along to you
gardners-index.com

Question: Growing Guide for Vegetables by Hardiness Zone

At a time that I did not need it I ran across a pdf document that showed what kinds of plants could be planted and grown in a given zone (mine is DFW Texas). Would anyone have something like this that I could download? It was like a chart that showed a list of the vegetables then the months were listed across the top and it diagrammed what veggies could be grown during each month. I hope I am making sense.
Thanks.

By Slingshot_317 from TX

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams [23]04/07/2010

Call your county extension office, ask them to send all info on gardening. They have what you need, good luck.