Vegetable Garden Planting Times

Vegetable garden planting times vary by the region in which you live and the type of veggie you wish to plant. This is a guide about vegetable garden planting times.

Vegetable Garden
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 23, 2014 Flag

How late can I plant a small basic vegetable garden in eastern Montana?

By saylorkathy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with your local Extension Office (usually in white pages of your local phone directory under County Offices, or online - use the search term '(insert name of your county) Extension office'; online or in person you'll find get loads of great, free advice on gardening in your specific area. Your tax dollars at work:)

Most county extension offices publish free leaflets you can either pick up in the office or download from the website - and all of that info is geared towards your locale so that important gardening success factors like micro-climates specific to your area, first and last frost dates, and planting calendars are right there for you to use.

December 6, 2010 Flag

I cannot find a planting calendar for a vegetable garden. I live in the South Coast, Batemans Bay, NSW Australia. What do you plant in spring, summer, and autumn? Can you suggest a month by month or a seasonal calendar? Many thanks.

By Mariannina

Mariannina, The ABC gardening show always tells us what to plant when and where, gardening magazines, seed packets, Yates garden book and their website, your local garden nursery. Most Neighbour Houses have a garden club and are happy to help. Regards and happy gardening Jean, Maffra Victoria.

Marianna another source for vegetable gardening is in the Diggers Magazine Also the Womans Weekly usually has a section on gardening with monthly suggestions.

found this on facebook didn't look into myself thought I would pass it along to you

gardners-index.com

February 14, 2013 Flag

I am excited about having my "first time ever" backyard garden. Please advise planting times (between zones 7 and 8) for watermelons, banana cantaloupes, okra, and blackeyed peas. Thank you.

By KO

If you live in the US, the best place for veg (and other plantings including landscape and flowers) advice is from your local extension office. The webpages for your county extension office are free to download/print and are specific to YOUR area-the pages will highlight information geared to the microclimates, what grows best there, and what plant pests and diseases are causing a concern-all of it local to your area!

You can find the phone number in the Government pages of your phone book or online by using the following search term:

cooperative extension office (insert name of your county and state)

For example, using the above as:

extension office houston county al

Brought up the following result:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en& ... 2900d7bac94&biw=1024&bih=654

For a sample of an extension office page on veg growing, see:

http://www.aces.edu/home-garden/law ... /veg-fruit-nuts/index.php#Vegetables

Your tax dollars at work (really:)

October 17, 2011 Flag

When would be a good time to seed veggies seeds and also when to plant?

By Jimmy R

You plant the seeds inside in small peat pots about 2-3 weeks before you get ready to plant and tend to them indoors. Sunny spot, windowseal or such. You plant outside after the last frost, which typically (at least in the South) is right after Easter (although the weather is changing over the years and requires a bit of weather forecasting these days.) Review when the last frosts are your area, though, before planting outdoors.

September 29, 2011 Flag

Where can I find a vegetable planting calendar for the UK?

By Dave from midlands England

Hi Dave! I'm an American ex-pat living in east-central Scotland, and sometimes feel I'm having to learn gardening all over again since moving to the UK! I've found these three sites to be the most helpful:

http://www.gardeningzone.org/content/content.php/hardiness-zones-uk/

and

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/calendars-index.asp

and finally, the best of all (even though we don't have an allotment, the info works every bit as well in our home plot!):

http://www.allotment.org.uk/

Goo luck, hope this helps!

April 3, 2010 Flag

At a time that I did not need it I ran across a pdf document that showed what kinds of plants could be planted and grown in a given zone (mine is DFW Texas). Would anyone have something like this that I could download? It was like a chart that showed a list of the vegetables then the months were listed across the top and it diagrammed what veggies could be grown during each month. I hope I am making sense.
Thanks.

By Slingshot_317 from TX

Call your county extension office, ask them to send all info on gardening. They have what you need, good luck.

April 4, 2002 Flag

This guide will help you schedule the planting of gardens so space may be utilized efficiently. Designed for central Iowa, dates for southern Iowa would be about 1 week earlier, for northern Iowa about 1 week later. For more information on planting a vegetable garden, see Pm-819, Planting a Home Vegetable Garden.

2 Page(s)

• Radishes
  • Lettuces
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Cabbages
  • Broccoli and cauliflower
  • Collards and kale
  • Potatoes
  • Turnips
  • Snap beans
  • Sweet corn
  • Lima beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers and eggplants
  • Summer squashes
  • Cucumbers
  • Muskmelons
  • Watermelons

This article is available in PDF format. Click here to download it.

Published by: Iowa State University Horticulture Guide

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesFebruary 16, 2013
Flower Garden
Planting a Flower Garden
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:31:27 PM on 10.0.0.81 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.