White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Several of my houseplants have developed a white mold on the soil. What would cause this, and what can I do? I water my plants once a week, and they have good south sun. I also took someone's advice and have dumped coffee grounds on some of the pots. This has happened on the geraniums and other plants as well. Thanks in advance!

Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers:

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

I have had this also. The reading I've done suggests that the soil may be too wet or not have enough air circulation. It only seems to happen to me in the winter. I stirred up the surface dirt and put a small fan blowing toward them for a week or so and it quit! :0) Maggie in Bloomington, MN (02/26/2008)

By gardenlady58102

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Hi there,
Happens to the best of us, lol. Just take a fork every couple weeks and redistribute the soil by poking it and you will notice that it will not happen anymore. Hope it helps (02/27/2008)

By dayna043

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Thanks! I will try stirring the soil, in fact I did do this on one plant already. KLJ (02/27/2008)

By KLJohn

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

I have taken several courses in greenhouse growing and plants. Mold is caused by one of three things (or a combination of them): Cool temperatures, Lack of Air Circulation, Excessive Moisture.
That is hard to control in the winter because you don't open the windows as often. Stirring the soil with a fork will help! But also try to get some fresh air on the "moderate" winter days. (02/28/2008)

By Johnny

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

Definitely cut back on the watering in the winter. Plants do better with less water than too much. (02/29/2008)

By Ashley

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

What if it's growing on the actual plant leaves and NOT the soil? (03/06/2008)

By Karen

White Mold Growing on Plant Soil

So, if it is already on the surface, should you just stir it in and loosen the soil (or will the mold harm the plant)? Or remove all visible mold (which would remove good soil too)? (11/25/2008)

By chicken lady