Save the lint from your dryer screen; it can be used as kindling to start fires in your fireplace.
Source: I can't remember where I read this but it works great.
By Mary from Pickstown, SD
Sorry, but this is a horrible idea! The chemicals used for fabric softener and dryer sheets are highly toxic.
I have a good friend who was trying to repair his dryer. He was cleaning lint out of the dryer hose and breathed some of it in. The chemicals in the lint damaged the lining of his sinuses and also resulted in Permanent nerve damage! He's had to have sinus surgery because of it and will have life long health problems. He's only in his mid-30s.
Not only is burning the lint probably a huge health hazard (there's a reason why it's highly flammable...chemicals!), but I would think that storing large quantities of lint in your home would be hazardous as well. Please, please, please don't use this tip!
I'm a girl scout leader, and we have been told never to use lint to make fire starter, because of the chemical in the lint and it is health concerns. It is not safe. It is better to melt old candles and pour it into egg cartons. It's better to be safe, than save a few pennies.
I was going to suggest the candle wax in egg cartons too but make sure they are the card board cartons because plastic ones will also emit harmful chemicals when burned! My aunt has a wood stove and also goes camping a lot and what she does is cut/break all the individual egg cups apart from several cartons, fills the cups part way with wax and then she can easily just grab one or two to start a fire at any time.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!