Homemade Gardening Pots

I use homemade papier mache pots for my seedlings, but I don't use salt in the paste mix. Can I use salt to prevent mold or will it kill the plants?

By Laurie from Haverhill, MA

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It might, it kills weeds.To be safe I wouldn't use it.

February 9, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying peat pots try this:

Take a can or jar about the size of the pot you want to make and wrap strips of newspaper around it. Make sure the paper strips are long enough to go around the form several times and wide enough to hang over the bottom. Wrap paper around form tuck the hang over in towards the bottom of the form, overlapping and press all around. Staple seam to keep from unraveling and set in pan/tray before filling with soil and seeds.

When ready to transplant just put in whole as is. The paper will decompose very quickly.

Can't get cheaper.

Kathy from Northfield, VT

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerFebruary 9, 2010
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Terra Cotta Pots
Saving Money on Terra Cotta Pots
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 9:54:07 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.