Homemade Gardening Pots

I use homemade papier mache pots for my seedlings, but I don't use salt in the paste mix. Can I use salt to prevent mold or will it kill the plants?

By Laurie from Haverhill, MA

It might, it kills weeds.To be safe I wouldn't use it.

February 9, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying peat pots try this:

Take a can or jar about the size of the pot you want to make and wrap strips of newspaper around it. Make sure the paper strips are long enough to go around the form several times and wide enough to hang over the bottom. Wrap paper around form tuck the hang over in towards the bottom of the form, overlapping and press all around. Staple seam to keep from unraveling and set in pan/tray before filling with soil and seeds.

When ready to transplant just put in whole as is. The paper will decompose very quickly.

Can't get cheaper.

Kathy from Northfield, VT

Home and Garden Gardening ContainerFebruary 9, 2010
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Terra Cotta Pots
Saving Money on Terra Cotta Pots
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces