Chinch Bugs Killing Lawn

My beautiful St. Augustine lawn is being attacked by grubs and chinch bugs. Some of the dead grass comes up without any trouble, like in clumps, but other areas are dead are are hard to pull up. I sprayed and spread Spectracide, now what do I do?

By dee-dancer

I had the same problem. I went to my local garden store and bought some bags of grub killer and using a spreader covered the area with the grubs. I waited for about a week then raked out all the dead grass and roots. Then put down new grass seeds. Grass is growing up ok. You can also buy the grub killer at any big box store such as Home Depot, Lowes or Wal-Mart. You could hire a lawn maintance crew to do the work for you.

If you don't mind your lawn being a bit unsightly for a while, the St. Augustine grass should fill those areas in well, if they're not too huge.

When I lived in Houston, and got chinch bugs, I put down the granules to kill them, then simply waited. Within a month, the lawn filled itself back in. You have to love that about St. Augustine grass!

Chinch Bug
Identifying and Controlling Chinch Bugs
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceJune 20, 2011
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car