KnittingCrafts

Using Baby Yarn to Make Adult Sweaters

Does anyone have any patterns for crocheting ladies XL size sweaters using baby yarn? I have a ton of baby yarn left over from past projects and I just know it'd work up into a gorgeous sweater for me if I could just find a pattern.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Since this yarn is fine, twist several yarns together to create a heavier yarn more suited to the adult sizes, and create a beautiful blended color.

Chloelizabeth, heavier is not what I'm wanting. The reason I like the baby yarns so much is because it is so light and airy. Perfect for a late spring or early fall day.

http://www.thri  9153834.tip.html

is the website for a simple, yet pretty, sweater and easy to make. If I can make it, anyone can! When finished, I tried it on an it fit me and I wear an x-L, but for sweaters, I do not like them to fit tight, so I would increase the size of the sweater. and then again, with baby yarn, it would not be as tight as a 4-ply regular yarn. Give it a try and in baby yarn, it should be beautiful. Happy Crocheting.

Actually, if you just use baby yarn to make a 4-ply yarn pattern, the gauge will be way off since the baby yarn doesn't work up as well. Try a crochet cotton sweater pattern if you can find one. You *might* be able to do a granny square pattern and adapt the number of squares. There's one at http://web.arch  roovy/03-54.html that's cute.

Hope you find one that will work. I'd love to see it when finished!

Dee

Baby yarn is the same as sport-yarn isn't it? Try a pattern using sport yarn.

There are lots of free patterns online for sport weight yarn or fingering yarn. Just type in your search bar "free pattern for......", what ever your looking for. Make sure you type in free. Good luck:)

October 8, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any patterns for adult size (XL) sweaters using baby yarn? I've made shawls, but want a sweater made from it.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Using Baby Yarn to Make Adult Sweaters

There are basically 2 weights of baby yarn. One is called "sport weight" and the other is called "fine". Regular thickness yarn is called "worsted weight" and the thicker yarns are called "bulky weight" or "extra bulky". You'll need to know what weight your yarn is before you can look for a pattern. Once you know what size your baby yarn is (by thickness) you can then search for a pattern using the yarn weight. For example you can Google "free knitted sport weight sweater patterns" or "free crocheted sport weight sweater patterns" or some form of those words. There are lots of adult sweater patterns for sport weight yarn. Not so many for thinner yarn. Of course knitting with baby weight yarn can take much longer, so be prepared for the long haul!

Here are 4 great information charts:

Yarn weight by class:
lionbrand.com

Understanding yarn weights:
knitting.about.com

If you are still undecided, you can also decide what weight the yarn is by the size of needles they ask for:
Yarn weights, gauges, and hook/needle sizes:
(you can determine your yarn weight by needle size here)
members.tripod.com

Determining yarn weight:
maggiesrags.com

* One of the best places to search is for nice sweater patterns is "freepatterns.com".

You didn't say if you're a beginner or more advanced knitter. Also, you didn't say if you wanted a "pull over" or a "cardigan". Can you give us more info?

I love using baby yarn for adult projects! I especially love the shiny-nubby yarn in white or dark blue. It has a very classy and adult look.
bernat.com (04/27/2009)

By Cyinda

Using Baby Yarn to Make Adult Sweaters

You can also visit the sweater pattern generator, free online at knittingfool.com. If you enter your measurements, your yarn gauge and needle size, it will calculate the directions for a basic raglan, drop-sleeve or set-in sleeve pullover. (04/29/2009)

By blueprairie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts KnittingOctober 8, 2010
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Sweaters
Removing Lint from Sweaters
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 8:05:17 AM on 10.0.2.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.