Tomato Blooms Die and Fall Off

By Henry Clayton 1

I have some beautiful tomato plants growing, I have only 6 tomatoes on them. All of the other buds start to form, they turn the proper yellow color, then they turn brown and fall off. Hence I am not getting any tomatoes. Why?

By titaniumhen from Northern CA

Filter Sort

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

Was it very hot? I have read this year that if it's too hot, tomatoes won't get pollinated. Now I've decided to try this if I'm ever faced with too hot weather. If very hot weather is predicted during blossoming and pollination weather, I will take a q tip and pollinate by hand early in the morning when it's not too hot. You can find detailed descriptions of hand pollinating on web. I don't know if it would work, but I'm going to try it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

Is that what's called fusarium wilt? I think it might be, so next year use plants resistant to that and put in different location. Also make sure tomatoes have all necessary nutrients, water the ground gently not the leaves so dirt doesn't splash up, maybe use a plastic mulch.

Although, I noticed my neighbor was using one of those upside down kits purchased as a ready to go unit, hung upside down from the balcony, and still had the brown wilt on the bottom because I found the plant thrown away with the damaged tomatoes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary Warren 7 12 Flag

Try using 1/4 of a cup of epsom salt to 2 gallons of water. Go around each plant pour about 1 gallon per plant. It will start producing tomatoes. If you add 1/4 cup epsom salt to soil before plant, you will have tomatoes to give away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Tomato Blooms Die and Fall Off

My tomatoes have some yellow leaves, but what I am concerned about are the blooms. They come out, then die and fall off. I have no fruit developing. What could be the problem?

By SCB2002 from Fort Worth, TX

Feedback:

RE: Tomato Blooms Die and Fall Off

I buy this bottle of spray every year and spray all the blooms on all my vegetable plants, if I don't they fall off. It is called Tomato and Blossom Set Spray, it is for all vegetables. Use it once a week as new blooms develop. It comes in an 8oz. ready to use bottle. You get it at any Ace Hardware Store or some grocery stores, mainly where they sell gardening supplies. You don't spray the whole plant, only the blossoms. Good luck. (06/05/2009)

By momcady1945

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesAugust 16, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Papaya Tree
Growing Papayas
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:19:56 AM on 10.0.2.120 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings