Buttermilk for Septic System

For those of you on septic tanks; I had to have my tank pumped out last year. The guy who did the work, told me that instead of buying the expensive bacteria products, to pour a half gallon of buttermilk down the drain once a month and it would do the same thing!

Source: Helpful worker!

By ssfelts from Tallassee, TN

You could ruin your septic system. Your "helpful worker" is spreading a myth. Look on the Internet for the facts about your septic system ingesting buttermilk.

We don't have a septic system but I do see those commercials for Rid-X I think it's called and isn't it supposed to be about 6 bucks a month? I wouldn't think that's too expensive and is made for the job.

A packet of yeast that you find in the baking aisle of your local grocery store would be better. Pour the yeast into the toilet and flush. Do this once a month if necessary. Tip from a plumber. Costs much less than Rid X.

Septic Tank
Maintaining Your Septic Tank
Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankOctober 28, 2009
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
Using Brewer's Yeast in a Septic System
Using Brewer's Yeast in a Septic System