Air Bubbles in Wall Paint

I am painting a bed room wall a burgundy color and keep getting trapped air bubbles that do not go away. I have painted it 5 times so far using a roller, short and 3/4 mat, brushes, Behr and Ralph L. eggshell paints and yet it still looks horrible! Why? What am I doing wrong?

Mike from Sacto, Calif

Check out the following:

This site has photos of paint problems, possible causes, and solutions.

I would call the store and talk to someone about the problem that you're having. Call Home Depot and talk to a professional.

I have talked to B.M. and Home Depot will no luck on solving my problem!

We had that problem years ago when I lived at home. My dad used to paint with oil based paint all the time. Then we went to latex paint and there was a huge problem with bubbles. We also had plaster walls. He had to sand the walls and put a skim coat of plaster on the walls then a sealer then paint. My mom was very upset through this whole thing. The next time he painted he thoroughly washed and dried the walls then primed them and painted.

As Rasta said it may be that the paint you are painting over is oil based and what u are using is latex. If that is the case, prep by sanding and a correct primer will help alot. Have you just tried putting a pin in the bubbles and deflating them?

Your problem could be a number of things. Is it an old plaster wall you're painting? That's usually the problem. If not, did you have wallpaper removed? Anyway, the ideal solution, the only way to get rid of it is by using a FLAT OIL PRIMER! Let it cure for a day or 2 and then you can paint with latex or oil. The slight chance bubbles come up again just plaster and then prime with oil again. A lot of the time it's the glue reactivating from the wallpaper/vinyl or moisture in the wall (usually an exterior wall) any problems email me @ mortonpainting AT

Painting Tips and Tricks
Painting Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingFebruary 26, 2008
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Fixing Wallpaper Bubbles
Fixing Wallpaper Bubbles
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete