Packing For Your First Year in College

My daughter will be starting her first year of college next month. Should she pack her things like bed linens, shower caddy, clothes, etc. in a bag or suitcase? We live in New York and she will be going to school in Oklahoma. Not sure at this time if we are going to fly or ride the bus/train. Any suggestions to make this an easy transition will be helpful. Thanks.

By Onesummer

Best Answer

Just some food for thought, but since she will be traveling so far, what about shipping items like towels and linens ahead of time, via UPS, FedEx, or whatever? You'll need to check with her housing hosts in advance, but if they can accept and hold such for her until arrival, it may lessen her worries about keeping track of the bags and suitcases as she travels.

Best Answer

I'm in my first year of college right now. I took the train from LA to Kansas to attend KU. It cost so much less then taking all my suitcases on the plane with all the baggage fees. I suggest bringing only clothing and things that are small with you. Everything else can be bought at a store near the college.

Bed Bath and Beyond has a program where you can scan items from one store and they will be ready to pick up at the store near the college. It was fast and easy and saved a lot of room in my bags for other things like coats for the winter.

I agree with KansasCindy. The less she has to lug with her while traveling so far the better. The first day of college is a very hectic and busy day, I can only imagine what it will be like when she has to fly or ride a bus so far. If the majority of her things can already be there for her things will definitely be easier for her.

I wish her luck!

She should recieve a list of things she will need. Boy is she going to miss New York.

Try making your own space bags for some items and packing them in suitcases.

I am with KansasCindy, danward and Lilac! This passage in life is going to be difficult enough as it is without worrying about lugging items with her and especially in this day and age! :-(

Photo of a first year college student.
Packing for Your First Year in College
Education College Life AdviceDecember 10, 2010
Young Couple Packing for A Move
Packing for a Move
A girl working on online college courses using a laptop.
Taking Online College Courses
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🎄