BirthdayParties

Winter Wonderland Themed Birthday Party

I am planning a sweet sixteen winter wonderland party for my daughter in December. I do not want to make it about Christmas because she gets so upset about her birthday and Christmas being a few days apart. So no Santa at this party. My plan is to use snowmen and penguins and of coarse lots of fake snow. Can anyone help we with ideas on how to get it together? I want it to be a night to remember for her. Thanks a bunch.

By t33hatley from Tyler, TX

If it was me I would make it look as much like a winter lodge as possible. Make silver, blue and white iced snowflake cookies. Mix flavored coffee creamers into hot chocolate, top with whipped cream. Make hot apple cider, serve with cinnamon sticks. Use styrofoam balls in three sizes, cover with quilt batting and spray with glitter glue for snowmen, add eyes, nose, mouth and scarves or hats. Use these for table decorations. Use egg shaped styrofoam for penquin bodies, round for heads. Cover cardboard cutout feet with felt, cover with black and white craft fur, make cardboard wings and beak. Buy inexpensive scarves and mittens or gloves to give as party favors. www.orientaltrading.com would be an excellent source for some of your decorating items, like cut out snowflakes to scatter on the buffet table, etc.

Thanks I love the ideas of the cut outs and the styrofoam snowmen. i will for sure use those. I am really trying to make it more promish like with the arch and all. If you have any more ideas I would would love to hear them. Thanks Renee

Local elementary schools might let you cut out snowflakes with their die cut machine for free if you call ahead, ask nicely and explain what it's for, and volunteer to bring your own paper. I'd use a mix of white, baby blue, royal blue, and even vellum if you have it, and then glitter them and hang from your ceiling at different heights with fishing line to create a "snowfall." You wouldn't have to do the entire room, maybe just the entryway or the main "hang-out" area, snack bar, dance floor, etc.

See if neighbors or friends will let you borrow their Christmas trees to set up outside in front of your party location and decorate with wads of polyfill to look like "snow," or even inside if you like. I don't know about lights on the trees since your daughter's sensitive about her b-day being near Christmas, but pine trees covered with snow are so wintery and versatile!

If you use an arch, try making your own with white, clear, and silver balloons (you might even luck out and find some printed with snowflakes), or borrow an arch trellis and fluff it out with white tulle (very inexpensive) with white Christmas lights underneath for sparkle.

Maybe this is just me, but I think that snowmen styled like teenage girls (with girly hats, scarves, blush, bangle bracelets, etc) would be really fun for this party, especially if you made them have more "attitude" than just "kidsy." Find some sticks for their arms and spray paint them silver, and try to pose them with cell phones, purses, etc as though they're in groups hanging out and talking.

Hey thanks for all the ideas. I will get right to work on this. I do alot of work at my youngest daughters elementary school so I will ask them. The snowgirl ideas were very cool. Thanks everyone

Thanks for the web sites. I think I pretty much know what I want. It is just getting it all together and it being memorable for her. I want this to be unforgettable.