Mice in Car's Fan Housing

My mom has a severe problem with field mice getting into the heating/air fan housing in her car. No one else has had a problem when they visit her, but she has had to have her car in the shop at least 10 times for this in the two years that she has owned the car. The car is a Chrysler Sebring. Does anyone have any ideas on what she could use to stop them from coming in? She has outside pets and is afraid to put out any poison.

By binkylou from Wingo, KY

Take moth balls and put in little mesh bags and place around under hood. They don't like the smell.

The moth balls do work. It was happening to me a couple of years ago. We took an old pair of panty hose and cut them up into several pieces. Tied the bottom end closed and put the moth balls in. Tied the top in closed and hung them in a few places around the motor. IT WORKED!! The only thing is, the smell is kind of strong at first if your using your heater or air conditioner. But, it saved me a lot of money in the long run.

There is not much you can do as it is the design that allows small animals to get in there, which is also why some others dno't have the problem. I work at a car dealership and asked a technician as I have never seen anything that you can do, and there is nothing you can do. Trust me, I have seen all sorts of things in cars, mice, nests, dog food, acorns, etc.

If you can stand the smell of moth balls in your car, I guess that would do it.

What about putting one of those ultrasonic things out near where the vehicle is parked, or is it too far away from the house or an electrical outlet?

He sprayed something around his yard, couldn't remember the name or what it was, but the strongest thing you could by without a license. I don't recommend that as I don't like chemicals like that.

One thing not mentioned above is this. I do hope no one is actually paying for the repairs. Your insurance covers it, I promise. I had a friend that had a squirrel who took up residence in the transmission of a Renault and when he turned the engine over in the spring (it was garaged during the winter), he heard the worst sound possible. Ugh! I happened to be there for dinner that night and was working in an insurance claims office at the time. I told him to call his agent and sure enough, he was covered for squirrels! He thought he'd have a huge repair bill, but they paid for it. Just wanted you to know.

We. also had two cars damaged from mice. We were told that Irish Spring soap would keep the critters away. We put some in the engine where the electrical wires are and so far no further problems. Is it the soap or have we just been lucky, I don't know. We never asked a mechanic, so use at your own risk.

They make small traps called mice cubes where the mouse can get in but cannot get out. The traps can be baited with peanut butter and will have to be cleaned out daily; I realize this is not a good long term fix but it may catch a few that the moth malls don't catch?

Mice POOF I had a 22" snake in mine

As others mentioned, I noticed some shredded paper and

what looked like mouse droppings in my car (along with a weird smell from the heat vents- argh!). So I've been using the d-Con mouse traps (purchased at a hardware store), which are round disks that you put bait underneath (ex:peanut butter), and then turn it over and turn the top clockwise- it creates a small opening in the side of the disk. When the mice go inside to get the treat, that causes the opening to close- so they're inside (dead) and you don't have to see them, you just throw the disk away. They're very easy to use & it's a plus that you don't have to look at or clean up the dead mouse from a trap. If you use poison, they might go somewhere in the car/garage/house to die, so I didn't want that. So far I've caught 4 in there, just by leaving two in my vehicle overnight (one on the dash and one on the floor). I hope they don't have a nest in there, but for sure they're coming into the car and are possibly in the heating vent area. We also have mice in our garage- had to get rid of birdseed, and store the dog food elsewhere, but they're still coming into the garage through various holes in the walls. I periodically let the cats out there to try to kill them- but tonight, one of the cats actually brought a still-alive mouse into the house with her- chaos ensued involving dogs/cats/me and I finally ushered it out back into the garage (I was trying to catch it, but it wasn't cooperating).

Rodent nest in a car's engine compartment.
Mice Nesting in a Car
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceJune 24, 2009
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎉
🎄