Alternatives to Push Pins

Category Tips
When you run out of push pins take a look around the house, for other things you can use. This is a guide about alternatives to push pins.

Ladies, have you ever lost an earring rendering the other one useless? Try using your old earrings or mis-matched ones as thumb tacks on a bulletin board. Not only does it give a funky eclectic vibe but it also serves a purpose. :)

By abrupt_silence

Once when I was younger we were out of town for a wedding and my dad had forgotten his tie tack. Used one of my post pearl earrings. I don't know do guys still use tie tacks?

This has to do with push pins, thumb tacks, children, and pets. Unfortunately children and pets don't understand the dangers of these items. Most everything a child or animal finds ends up in their mouths, many times with hazardous or deadly results.

An easy way to avoid this is to not allow them in your home! I have a medium size bulletin board on the wall. On it I have glued a bunch of wooden clothes pins. Whenever I need to post something on the bulletin board, I simply clip it there instead of using pins.

Now I never have to worry about a pin falling off and getting into my pets mouths. Or heaven forbid, into a child's mouth when my grandkids come to visit. This is such an easy and inexpensive preventative to a potentially deadly event. Recently on the news was a story of a baby who died from ingesting a push pin. Please, everyone, even if you don't use my suggestion, PLEASE come up with something so that you don't have to have these deadly items in your home!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

This is a wonderful idea! I might add that push pins are not only a danger to children and pets. They can be a hazard to adults as well when stepped on, especially those who are diabetic. Diabetics don't have the same feelings in their feet as normal people and may not even know they have stepped on one until it gets infected. My husband stepped on a tack and bled all over the kitchen floor without even realizing he had a tack in his foot! It was a nightmare! I got rid of my bulltetin board altogether and instead I found some metallic tissue paper I liked and some matching wide satin ribbon. Then I used some washable school glue to attach the paper to the back and front of my bedroom door and added the ribbon to create a trim around it. The washable glue makes it easy to remove and clean since I am renting my home, but it holds very well. I use scotch tape to secure notes, bills, and other items to my "board". You could also use some waxed paper, aluminum foil, or worn out sheet protectors to get the same effect. The notes remove easily from these surfaces and the glue won't damage the paint finish!

A friend just recently attended her nephew's 15 month old son's funeral. The 15 month swallowed a push pin that was lodged in its throat, the baby died on the way to the hospital. Please be careful with those push pins. Even though they are sharp on one end, babies will still put them in their mouths.

By Momshummingbird from Lexington, NC

This is the second time this week that I heard of a baby swallowing a push pin. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Run out of push pins? I always do. So I make use of all those little scatter pins they give away at conventions and the like for tacks in my bulletin board, etc. by taking the backs off.

Pretty and stray post earrings can be used as push pins on cork bulletin boards. So when you've lost the mate of a pair of post earrings, don't despair, use it on your cork board! Maybe you have special memories of some event you wore those earrings to. The moment doesn't have to be lost with the other earring, think of that special moment every time you look at your bulletin board or cork board!

By Terri H. from NV

Answers:

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

A picture would have been fun, but I like the idea! (08/03/2007)

By kimhis

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

I have 3 granddaughters aged 10 thru 21, none of whom have any qualms about wearing unmatched earrings or a single. They also attach them to their charm bracelets, key chains, neck chains, etc. They have started trends in their schools from just this kind of outside-the-box thinking. So, I just pass 'em on and receive lots of thanks! The gold ones I just sell to jewelers who buy scrap gold. (08/04/2007)

By sheilamay

Use Extra Earrings as Push Pins

I use extra earrings on my shirts or jackets or dresses(like a pin) so kind of to "dress up" my clothing item (08/04/2007)

By imaqt1962