• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • Ad
  • 1 cup boiling water

Cream butter and sugar, add the molasses and egg and mix. Add flour, ginger, cinnamon and soda and mix well. Add boiling water, and mix well.

Pour into a greased and floured square cake pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I have found the best place to buy molasses is at WalMart. I buy butter, flour, cinnamon, etc. when they are on sale. Butter freezes nicely, just take it out of the freezer the night before to thaw.

Source: I measured the ingredients out last night, then quickly mixed all this morning and baked. Gingerbread makes the house smell so good and is fairly inexpensive to make. This recipe has been a family favorite for many years passed down from my Great Aunt. It is a staple at our house. Enjoy!

By Bobbie Ann from Rockwall

Gingerbread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsFebruary 20, 2009
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
Star Shaped Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread Cookie Recipes
Paper Gingerbread Men
Making Paper Gingerbread Men
Gingerbread Pancakes
Gingerbread Pancakes