Best Apples for Pie

What do you consider the best apple to use for a really good Apple pie?

By Deborah S. from Temecula, CA

The large green baking apples make delicious apple pies. They are a bitter tasting apple but when you use them in a pie they are delicious!

Around here in Michigan, various friends like the Northern Spys, some of them are paying about $1 per apple for the Spys at an orchard nearby. I found just a few at the grocery store, and I bought a half a peck. They aren't the prettiest apples with the whitish haze on them, but, they are considered the best for baking with it, at least in my area. I've only seen Spys and Honey Crisp apples at the end towards the apple season.

Here in NY State I like to use empire apples. The Northern Spies are a great apple also. Even here with a long apple season they are only out for about 2 weeks. One tip is to not use juicier apples (sweeter). The sweeter the apple the wetter the pie.

Whichever you use, if you feel they are going to be juicier than you want, mix a tablespoon or two of cornstarch with some of your sugar, and toss with the apple slices. Thickens the juices a bit.

I am from Iowa and I like Jonathans. They are more of a tart apple.

Always use a variety of apples and make sure that at least one is a large granny smith.

Hands down Granny Smith! The large green apples that can be found anywhere!

I am from Michigan and use Northern Spies - they do have a short season, but I think they make the very best pies

Generations of my family have used only Courtland apples. They are sweet/tart and have a bit softer flesh that bakes incredibly well.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking PastriesOctober 20, 2009
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
🎉
🎄