Pest ControlGardening

Can I Use Dish Soap to Get Rid of Garden Pests?

I heard that you can use a mild mixture of dishsoap and water to spray on your garden plants to prevent bugs. Is this true? My beans are being eaten severely.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Lindsay from Parowan, UT

Yes. Very good for getting rid of greenfly on roses. But not sure about beans though.

Get a hot pepper, such as habenero, cut it up and boil seeds and all. Put into a spray bottle and spray your bean plants. The bugs don't like the hot pepper taste and it won't hurt your bean plants. Of course, after a rain you'll need to spray them again.

Its true. I've used it on my beans and it helps. June bugs, however, have to be hand picked. If you can get the first June bugs of the season, all the better, because they are scouts sent out to tell the others where the good food is. I usually knock them into a jar of soapy water. Also, when it rains, the soap washes off, so you have to re-apply.

Remember to get under the leaves where bugs like to hide. You don't have to use a whole lot of soap. I've had good luck with a squirt of dish-soap in a spray bottle that mists. Good luck!

I have aphids on some plants, a worm that wraps himself in the leaves, and little dark bugs that cause the leaves to curl. Can I use dish soap and water with all of them? What about vinegar and water spray?

By Theresa M.

Don't think I would use vinegar but I would try just a little bleach in the water with the soap (make the soap dawn dish soap). The original blue one as it is the recommended one. I use this on crepe myrtles for white flies ....works beautifully.