Getting Rid of Meal Bugs in Flour

How do I get rid of meal bugs/worms? I found them in the flour canister? I always keep it sealed. I can't understand where they came from.

By Diedra from OH

I don't think you can actually get rid of the bugs, once they are there. My late mother got tired of throwing away flour that got these bugs in them and started keeping her flour in the freezer. It didn't hurt the flour any, and it kept the out. This was in the day when she bought flour in the 25 lb. bags. She would put that bag inside a plastic bag, so that if it leaked some it wouldn't get in the freezer.

Hello Diedra. The eggs for these bugs are already in the flour when you buy it. The secret is to keep them from hatching. Next time you buy flour put it in the freezer for a few days and that will kill the eggs. also make sue you store your flour and other grain products in a very dry cool place. I have been doing this for years. also things like instant pudding will also get those bugs.

The eggs are all ready in the flour. just put the bag in the freezer until ready to use. this will slow them from hatching. one they hatch you can not do anything but threw it away. before putting a new bag in your container, be sure to clean it real good to get rid of any other eggs or bugs, and put a hole bayleaf in the container also.

Buy a bag of bay leaves. Open every container with grains or flours and put in about three to each jar. Worms are gone forever but you must put them in when you get home.

Laurie from Ontario

I always store my flour in the refrigerator now and I have no more problems with the bugs. The cool temperature doesn't seem to affect the flour, I can use it the same as always, but thankfully, no more bugs!

Home and Garden Pest Control Pantry PestsJuly 18, 2010
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
🎄
🍂