PreparationEmergency

Save Water for Storm Outages

I realized that an excellent way to reuse 2 Liter pop bottles after we had a storm and had no electricity. We're on an electric well pump so I wasn't able to get a cup of coffee or even a little sponge bath to freshen up that morning. It was a really long 18 hour outage and I about went off the deep end for my morning perks! Now after rinsing the bottles I fill them to store water for such times.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

If you get your water from a well, you might want to check those bottles of water periodically. When I first married, we were on well water and I found that the water would go bad after a couple of days.

We are also on a well and whenever I suspect the electricity might go out due to a storm, I fill 4 gallon size jugs with water. I had rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I set the jugs of water on the washing machine and if not needed, I just add it to the wash water next time I do the laundry.

I store water in liter bottles in my freezer. If the power goes out, I have fresh water. Also, this helps your freezer work more efficiently.

I keep a 24 case of bottled water in the garage for emergencies. It does least longer than filling water from jugs. I change the bottled water out twice a year. Recently we had no water for 3 days. Broken water pipe underground. Had to reroute the pipes to the house. I was glad to have at least drinking and cooking water. I do like the idea of freezing some water as was just mentioned, Great idea!

When you are storing water for a power outage, Think about adding Flashlights and batteries, Also my cousin said you'd be surprised at the amount of heat those Glass Jar candles give off.If you don't have heat, lights and water then you should think about having a camp stove and Lantern also. The 99¢ store has those long lighters that work great.Keeping food bars,Peanut butter and crackers,snacks and juices is a good idea. Don't forget medicines.Try to have at least a weeks supply on hand for emergencies. And don't forget pets. water dish and food/meds for them too.

Make sure everyone has shoes and socks, sweaters,caps,hats or scarfs,coats and extra blankets. Just in case you have to leave the house. Take stuff with you. Having a small amount of cash helps too. In Ca. we have stock piled in case of an earthquake for each person. Have a Family day into evening,where you don't use water,heat ,cooking,TV or any electronics, Just to get an idea of how you would react in a real emergency and what you don't have that you needed. Make a list. Be safe. GG Vi