Keeping Moths Away from House

Usually every May I start to get moths in the bed room. On the ceiling, drapes, etc. Does anyone know how to stop this? It will be much appreciated. They're not in the closets. Thanks. Bevvie

By Bevvie from Placerville, Ca

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

To eliminate moths in the home.

http://www.ehow  inate-moths.html

I've cut way back on the number of moths that come into my house with one simple method. I took the bulbs out of all my porch lights! Even the so-called Bug Lights attract the moths. I put up solar powered lights no less than 15 feet from the door, and I put a solar powered motion sensored light up which shines toward my front door, but is located about 25 feet away.

Also, before I open an outside door, I try to make sure the inside light in that room has been turned off for at least 5 minutes. The moths are attracted to the lights outside, and as long as I go in and out as quickly as I can, the moths don't get in. I used to have moths flying around my bedroom at night too, and they were really aggravating. But once I did this and of course swatted all the ones that were already in, now I only get a moth maybe once or so a month!

I don't have a problem with moths, tho I do use as natural methods as possible. 1) I use peppercorns in anything I pack away for seasons; 2) I use lavender in my drawers and on my clothes hangers; 3) I also plant lavender and marigolds around all entrances to my home. These no only keep the moths away but also the mosquitoes. I do like getting as much bang for the buck as possible. :D

May 12, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a suggestion how to keep the moths, etc. from flying around my screen door? In order to let my dogs in or out, I have to have kept the light off in that room and the outside patio light off for at least a half hour or there will be tons of flying insects battling to get in! I have the same problem with the front and side doors.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Keeping Moths Away from House

I used to have the same problem then I went to the store and purchased the bug light bulbs. They are yellow and I never have bugs around my outside lighting any more. See photo. (05/04/2009)

By florida gal

RE: Keeping Moths Away from House

Keeping Moths Away from House

Yes I have tried the yellow bug lights. I don't know what it is. Maybe my moths are stubborn but they actually like the yellow bug lights. And yes, the lights I bought are Bug lights and not just yellow lights.

I did come up with a solution though. I am going to install a motion sensored solar powered light at the bottom (so that it's low enough to be set off my my short-legged dogs) of the post by the top step coming off the deck. It's close enough that it'll come on as they come out the door, but far enough away as to draw the bugs away from the door. (05/04/2009)

By Cricketnc

Keeping Moths Away from House

How about a bug zapper nearby with a big bucket under it? (05/04/2009)

By kimhis

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control MothsMay 12, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:19:36 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.