Education

Summer Class Suggestions for Twelve Year Olds

Category Education

I want to take a summer class or lesson with my friend. We are twelve years old and need some suggestions on what to take.

Emma from Salt Lake City, UT

Do you like to cook? Why not a class for young chefs?

Hey there! When I was your age (sorry) I used to apply to local colleges and take classes. They usually have summer programs for younger kids (I think I started in 7th or 8th grade), and a lot of the classes were awesome. I remember taking entomology, pottery, drawing, journalism, and art history. There were tons to choose from, and the neat thing was, you could put all this on your college applications one day. Also, I started out at colleges close to home, then eventually used the summers to study all over the US and abroad. Those summers were some of my favorites. Go for it, you'll love it!

Wonderful idea! I would suggest looking for a class in American sign language. It's interesting and could provide income as a translator when you get ready for college. Basic sewing would be another good choice. It has long been my feeling that everyone, both male and female, should know how to hem and sew on buttons as well as basic mending. They will save a lot of money when you enter the work force. Dry cleaners charge a mint for such chores.

How about a foreign language? Could be a real help someday in a business career. Just for fun, astronomy.Astronomy has been my hobby for almost 50 years and I can't tell you how much pleasure it's given me -- so peaceful and relaxing when you're frazzled! I've been to Salt Lake City.

The sky there is so big and open, great for stargazing.

Your local Red Cross should offer a class for young adults in CPR and first aid basics. Also, our local zoo offers tons of programs for your age group-some even include a sleepover! Check that out in your area! Look to your local public library as well, some of the classes may charge a small fee for supplies but they are usually one day and lots of fun! You could fill up your whole summer with activities! Good Luck and Have a blast!

I forgot to mention that you can also ask your teachers at school- They have access to a lot of extracurricular activities like the summer programs I mentioned in my other post.

Quilting, crocheting or knitting classes would be interesting and always useful to make things for yourself, family members or friends as gifts. When you're grown and have your own family, you can put to use any of these learned skills and give to the poor and needy as gifts at Christmas time those items you've made. Also, you can set up exhibits of items you've done and sell them or donate the money to a charity. The more practice you do, the better you get and what's nice about doing any of these things is if you're waiting to see a doctor or for someone else, you can be working on an item to pass the time from being bored. The sky is the limit to colors of yarns and fabrics to choose and patterns to make.

Cake decorating would be fun too and there's a lot of things you can create and come up with your own ideas.

You girls sound like you're very ambitious and I wish you the best in your choices during the summer months. Enjoy and most of all, have fun.

Another idea: our local animal shelter never puts down any cats, rabbits, or dogs. If they don't get adopted they stay there forever. As you can imagine, they have quite a few animals. They always want volunteers to play with the animals, take them for walks, feed them, etc.... Maybe there's such a program in your area.