What Are Some Meal Ideas for Someone With Diabetes?

What is a good meal for lunch? I have just been diagnosed with diabetes.

By Willie from Clarksville, TN

Have you seen a diabetic educatior and diatician about this? I would think your doctor would have had you schedule an appointment for this.

Willie, there are lots of diabetes websites that will give you meal plans and list "good" foods for diabetics and the "bad" foods. As for going to a diabetes class or to see a dietitian, I can't afford this, having no health insurance.

I can't find free classes in my area, wish I could. With so many people being diagnosed with diabetes, it would seem like a good idea to help people prevent more problems later on.

You could contact your public health office, they have lots of information to give out free. You can contact (800 numbers or online) many of the companies which make the products used by diabetics. Get free magazines from your pharmacy, the drug companies leave those to be handed out. Drug reps for diabetic supplies come often to pharmacies to hand out freebies to the clientele. Ask for any of that updated info.

Many books at the public library too. Almost all popular magazines which have recipes, food in them have a diabetic section. You can find these recipes on line. Subscribe to those and get the same magazine from the grocery store free online. You'd be surprised how much I get for free.

If you are eating out, ask to see the nutrition list for what you want to order. Some fast food places have put them on the back side of the place mat on the tray. Learn to manage your carbs/cals/fats into categories. Write things down in a notebook you carry. You learn by reading labels and then learn how much you can have of what. If I am going to the movies, I eat the 3 cups of unbuttered popcorn, small pop (I can't have sugar subs, they make me ill). How many crackers of a certain kind qualify as a carb. 15 grams to 1 carb. You learn what do you truely want to eat, what do you want a taste of. By in miniature if you crave something. This is where family comes in handy, they order, you take one bite and you are happy with the treat.

Write down your foods you like, then write down what you really can't cut out of your diet. You learn to break it down from there. Eat whole grains, cut your fats (really you can live without french fries). Find substitutes. We love raw jicama/sweet potatoes, apples, etc. and I try to avoid juice of all kinds. Eat the fresh food instead. Eating a whole sweet pepper is just as fun as a little dinky think of pudding. Just remind yourself how sick you could become if you eat the wrong things. Train your brain to say ick to what you really should not have. Do not expose yourself to all you can eat buffets when dining out UNLESS you can stay strickly with all veggies only. Order small. Drink lots of water. I love that Applebees came out with the 500 cal menu. Taste is great and filled up quickly.

Hope this helps. Been a diabetic about 4 years now. Controlled with metformin, cinnamon, exercise and diet. My A1C is 5.6!

Forgot to leave some specifics for lunch. Lots of lettuce salads. Broil half doz shrimp, toss on top, can use 1 tsp of favorite dressing. No more. I use alot of cooked turkey legs, chilled, shredded. Toss into many vegetable salads. Protein is a must in your diet. Cook lentils. Whole wheat pasta (remember serving sizes.) Watch to eat minimal white flour foods. Hidden fats are in many prepackaged foods. There is no such good fat. You need fats to balance out but consider all fat bad, then pick the best one for you to use. I like sesame oil, olive oil, sunflower oil. They have flavor in the smallest amount to use. When I cook stirfry, use fresh pineapple, apples, oranges squeezed instead of oils. So many ideas. Toss some cranberries in.

There are many recipe site on the internet that have recipes for diabetics. Here's just a few, and if you want more, just type in Diabetic Recipes and a gazzillion will come up.

Good Luck , Doris in NW IL

http://www.januvia.com/sitagliptin/ ... c=1&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=JA80G

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/

http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/diabetic-recipes/

http://diabetic.betterrecipes.com/

http://www.diabetia.com/

Surely your doctor sent you to a dietition or at least gave you a book of suggestions on how to eat healthy. If not I would change doctors to one who will take your diagnosis seriously.

My husband and I both have diabetes. When you look for recipes online or buy cookbooks, look for low carb recipes and cookbooks, not diabetic ones because diabetic recipes usually have way too many carbs in them.

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticFebruary 18, 2011
A blister on a leg
Treating Leg Blisters
Organized Colorful Clothing
Organizing Clothing for the Color Blind
Diabetic Meal Planning
Diabetic Meal Planning
fruit and a glucometer
Emergency Tips For Diabetics
🎄