Looking for a Poem About the Separation of a Dog and Its Owner

I was wondering if anyone knows of an ole time pet poem about a dog and his owner, there are many. But this particular one my husband came across from a kennel club online about 4 1/2 years ago.

My father use to recite a line or two throughout the years and said that it was one of his favorites; I don't think he knew it entirely because when my husband came across this poem and printed it, it was about a dog and his owner; not two lovers as he had thought.

One of them had died and the poem was about one of them asking the other if they would come and see them still when they were gone. In the poem it said something about the swagger or swag of the dogs tail, something about a tree, maybe beneath a maple tree, something about when I am gone.

Sadly my father passed away soon after I had given him this poem and the poem got misplaced, much to my horror. I can not for the life of me remember the two lines that my father use to recite; I have a mental block, most likely because I am trying so hard to remember.

I can remember the day when I brought the poem to him while he was in the hospital. He was so touched that I had found it for him that he cried, then we laughed when he realized that the poem wasn't about two lovers separated by death, it was about a dog and his owner. The look on his face was priceless. If anyone knows of a poem similar to what I am describing I would sure love to hear from you.

God bless.

By Susan from Las Vegas, Nevada

These are the only three I have. Hopefully one of them is the one you are looking for.

Rainbow Bridge

(Author Unknown)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to

someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are

meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can

run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and

sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to

health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made

whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our

dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and

content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone

very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run

and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops

and looks into the distance. His/her bright eyes are intent;

his/her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly s/he begins to

run from the group, flying over the green grass, his/her legs

carrying him/her faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend

meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted

again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again

caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting

eyes of your pet, so long gone form your life but never absent

from your heart.

Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

"Master Do Not Cry for Me"

Do not cry for me, my master

The sun is warm,

The grass is soft,

The water is cool and sweet

Do not cry for me, my master

I play with others,

The joy and strength of my youth restored

Do not cry for me, my master

Weep instead for the unloved, the unwanted,

For I was neither

Do not cry for me, my master

Remember the love that bonded us

And keep it in your heart

Do not cry for me, my master

Unless they are the tears of joy,

On the day we are reunited

Copyright 1998, Dillon Pyron

Daddy's Changing Diaper
Daddy's Diaper Dooty Poem
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner